K-Tec

'Shed' observatories

More
16 years 8 months ago #59100 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: 'Shed' observatories

One job I will be doing in the next week is running a permanent power feed down there. Using an extension lead is fine to a point.

You might consider SWA (steel wire armoured) cable for this, it almost indestructible, hedge trimmers will not damage it, infact I reckon a petrol lawn mower will come out the worse by an encounter with it. I use if for powering the observatory and shed from the house fuse board and haven't managed the electrocute myself or burn the place down yet.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #59101 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: 'Shed' observatories
I had a local shed firm build mine from the skyshed drawings (minus the windows).

When the house was being built they lowered the area by 1.5m and I got them to leave this area. The pier is sunk half a meter into bedrock so unless I have an earthquake it should be fine. After last years storms I also anchored each corner of the shed with D rail fencing sections and concrete.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
16 years 8 months ago #59151 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: 'Shed' observatories
I'd be very interested in finding someone who would make these. I've also bought the skyshed drawings and I've looked into this quite a bit, but I wouldn't have the skills or tools to take this kind of project on. I'd happily pay a reasonable price to have it made for me. If anyone comes across the names of builders who are willing to do this please post their details here or pm me with the info.

Phoenix would you mind letting me know what kind of price you paid for this? just a rough guide before I speak with local builders.

More
16 years 8 months ago #59159 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: 'Shed' observatories
just a comment on sheds for housing telescopes. I have a steel shed in my garden - but condensation is a huge problem with these sheds. Also extreme heat can build up in the summer, so i would suggest wooden sheds are better - if not always as secure as steel. ventilation is important which ever way you go! but I do like some of those nifty plastic modular types ive seen in mags - but have never seen one up close. - in any case, I live in a village but would still be to nervous to leave my scope outside.

More
16 years 8 months ago #59162 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: 'Shed' observatories

Phoenix would you mind letting me know what kind of price you paid for this? just a rough guide before I speak with local builders.

www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic....amp;highlight=#37101

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

• dolalu
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 8 months ago #59209 by dolalu
Replied by dolalu on topic Re: 'Shed' observatories
wow....didnt expect that type of response. I have spoken to my vendor today and he is working on some prototypes and plans.
Ill keep you posted on what if anything i have in mind.
thanks for the update and keep the feedback coming as it will allow me to build an ob that everyone will be able to use effectively
dolalu

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds