K-Tec

Amateur astronomers help

More
16 years 7 months ago #62663 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help
Kieran,

It would be an advantage to use high performance cameras of the back illuminated type. The CCD sensors are typically with a quantum efficiency (QE) 80% - 96%. These sensors from Fairchild, E2V Tech and SiTe are selected by camera manufacturers like Finger Lakes Instruments (FLI) and Apogee CCD. You'll find with these sensitive cameras in these companies as the Alta series (Apogee) and Proline series (FLI).

I only know two of us on the boards that have these cameras.

Regarding Exoplanet monitoring, you don't necessarily have to aquire high performance cameras of this type of observational work. It is quite adequate to use SBIG camera or similar ones at lower QE ratings and significantly cheaper prices.

Eamonn A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John D
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 7 months ago #62669 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help

It would be an advantage to use high performance cameras of the back illuminated type. The CCD sensors are typically with a quantum efficiency (QE) 80% - 96%. These sensors from Fairchild, E2V Tech and SiTe are selected by camera manufacturers like Finger Lakes Instruments (FLI) and Apogee CCD. You'll find with these sensitive cameras in these companies as the Alta series (Apogee) and Proline series (FLI).

Regarding variable star observing, will i need cameras from these companies?

Regarding Exoplanet monitoring, you don't necessarily have to aquire high performance cameras of this type of observational work. It is quite adequate to use SBIG camera or similar ones at lower QE ratings and significantly cheaper prices.

What do you suggest i do need for exosolar planet observing,

John

More
16 years 7 months ago #62693 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help
John - you don't need a specific imager from a specific vendor.

What you need to do is match the CCD to your particular setup (or, buy an imager then buy a telescope to match it...). Once you have determined the chip that will suit your needs best, then you choose the body it is going to sit in.

The likes of FLI, SBIG and Apogee (plus others) mostly offer the same CCD sensors from the likes of Kodak, SITe, Fairchild etc as Eamonn says.

Personally, I chose the FLI proline with a Kodak 1001e chip. The chip suits my optical train perfectly and FLI were offering a more robust body than SBig for my purposes. They also sweetened the deal with a filter wheel, focuser and BVRI filters.

I could have chosen SBig but their body just didn't do it for me.

So, choose the chip, then choose the body.

In choosing the chip, there's a myriad of decisions to make. Some are made for you - for science it has to be monochrome. QE (quantum efficiency) is important - the higher teh QE the better. Of course, the price increases too.

A Fairchild thinned back-illuminated CCD in an FLI ProLine body will set you back around $40,000. Yes, you read right... It has a QE well into the high 90's percent though... I don't think SBig offer the Fairchild (or even the SITe) chips.

The Kodak 1001e I have is somewhere in 70% QE mark.

So, here's the shopping list for extrasolar planet (ESP) observing:

1. Good mount
2. Good imager
3. Good telescope (matched to item 2)
4. Electronic focuser
5. Filter wheel with filters (not sure exactly what the ESP observers use)
6. Observatory (can just be a Tarp)
7. PC, Software (various packages) and an internet connection

That should do it. Oh, well, apart from the dewheaters, dewshield, mains power or a large battery pack, 5 clear nights out of 7, no wife, no kids, no dog, no job, a rich aunt, a place in mag 7 skies and no hair (though if you have have it, it will all be torn out soon enough).

OK, that may be laying it on a bit thick, but doing ESP science with you telescope and imager is hard-core amateur astronomy. You'd gonna have to read up a lot of material, learn what data to gather and how to report it, who to report it to and so on. You need good equipment that is well calibrated and working seamlessly together. Get that, and you're well on the way to joining a pretty small club of amateurs doing good science work.

Hope that helps...

Dave

More
16 years 7 months ago #62708 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help

Kieran,

I only know two of us on the boards that have these cameras

And I remember Dave's expression when he was asked about the cost.

The pro's responsible for the first accepted discovery took over a year of observations to confirm the original data they collected before going to press. The whole thing is definately possible but I think that no matter what gear you have here in Ireland then weather will always be against you. Its hard enough just to get enough clear sky to take pretty pictures let alone serious research. The dedication required for this type of imaging is way above me and hats off to the guys that have the ability to try it.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
16 years 7 months ago #62712 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help

That should do it. Oh, well, apart from... no wife, no kids, no dog, no job, a rich aunt, a place in mag 7 skies and no hair (though if you have have it, it will all be torn out soon enough).

WooHoo - I'm in with a fighting chance!!!

Phil.

Hmm... s'pose I'd better get back to working on the other bits in that list :)

More
16 years 7 months ago #62713 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help

WooHoo - I'm in with a fighting chance!!!

Just remember that by the time you have it all up and running, the bank has repossessed the house
:roll:

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds