K-Tec

Amateur astronomers help

More
16 years 7 months ago #62520 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help
I think that for amateurs to capture transit data you need a lot of factors on your side. Primary are:

Given the gear we use then we can only hope to catch a giant orbiting close to its star to get the max amount of light dimming.

Giants close to the star will orbit quite quickly so weather plays a big part in getting the relevant data. One or two nights a month won't cut it.

And then the gear to do it, factors x 20 to get it all to work. :cry:

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #62525 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help

Giants close to the star will orbit quite quickly so weather plays a big part in getting the relevant data. One or two nights a month won't cut it.

If an exoplanet orbits quickly then it is close in and presumably large. That means the time for transit across the disc of its parent star would also be quick. In theory if it transited in just a few hours, one clear night might be enough to gather the transit data.

That said, you probably need at least another clear night to calibrate your system and get it onto a standard system -assuming the exoplanet is favourably positioned in the first place...

Your other points are bang on - especially the getting it all to work bit - but I'd factor in another mponth to learn the techniques, science, maths and software...

And don't even mention money... :cry:

It's hard work getting the data but it certainly doesn't mean anyone here cannot help if you don't have the kit. There's a lot of analysis and admin that needs to be done. For an exoplanet search to work, there needs to be a team approach - like the SN search. One person alone wouldn't be able to do it all - unless they were retired, unmarried, no family, not working etc

Its certainly do-able (and has been done by Eamonn A) and a very worthwhile project - for a team...

Dave

More
16 years 7 months ago #62527 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help
Kieran,

I entirely agree with you. Besides all these factors you mentioned there is a need for good planning and preparation required.

Last year I monitored the transit of Gliese 581 'b'. This was the other planet found the previous year before 'c' . 'C' was the first 'earth like' planet that was all over the news.

I sent in the data to transit.org. They confirmed that my observations showed that the transit was on a lower latitude than expected.

I hope to carry out another this year, weather permitting.

Eamonn A

MPC J62
www.kingslandobservatory.com

More
16 years 7 months ago #62549 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help
A couple of links to whet your apetite:

www.transitsearch.org/getstarted.html
brucegary.net/book_EOA/x.htm

The second link is a a booklet describing the technique for amateurs.

Phil.

• John D
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 7 months ago #62586 by John D

• John D
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 7 months ago #62657 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: Amateur astronomers help
Anyone know of any really, really sensative CCD cameras, because alot of ye were saying tht it is posible but you'd need realy sensative CCD stuff.

Kiaran, I take you're advice into account- when you say that it will be very tough but I stiil think it can be done.

And also think Philips advice about when one is starting, start with variable stars or other things such as that.

I'd love to contribute to something like this and would be very greatful for any advice you have to give.

John

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds