K-Tec

Stephen Hawking

More
16 years 6 months ago #64834 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking lectured me in mathematics on a number of occasions. He is an outstanding man with such an amazing array of knowledge just ready to be exploded onto anybody who asks him a question in a brilliant manner. He can make the hardest thing seem so simple which is the attribute all teachers wish they had.

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #64842 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Stephen Hawking
Nobody doubts the brilliance of Hawking.
Neither does anybody doubt his abilities as a teacher.

However few doubt this either:

Because of the difficult personal circumstances in which Hawking had to write it “A Brief History of Time” is one of the most incomprehensible books on physics ever written for the layman.

Weinberg’s (recently updated)“The First Three Minutes” reads like a gripping “who-dunnit” thriller by comparison.

It is a model of clear exposition.

What’s more Weinberg ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Weinberg ) includes a mathematical supplement at the back of the book for those who are not faint-hearted mathematically.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 6 months ago #64911 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Stephen Hawking
One of the best books on cosmology, I ever read was 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene. I have never heard stuff like quantum string theory and relativity explained in such a brilliant manner. Almost every other page has a wow moment where the penny drops on something that you've always wondered about.

It took me three reads of ABHOT before I think I got it. Having read the elegant universe, it made me realise just how little I knew about the whole area.

Highly recommend this book to anyone.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds