Sealed Storage container for Dob

• Perseus
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 5 months ago #66332 by Perseus
Sealed Storage container for Dob was created by Perseus
Starting to get a few comments about my 12" Dob taking up alot of room in Kitchen!

Any ideas for outside storage? I dont want to build dome or RORO Shed. I'm looking for a small sealed storage container........... a 3ft Dia X 7ft Lt sealed plastic tube would probably do it. Maby with solar assisted battery to heat slightly and keep the damp out.

Anybody seen anything on the market like this ?

Thanks, Damon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #66334 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
This is what I use to store my scope. I've installed a battery powered alarm on it also. The Keter shed costs about €134 from Argos.

Have a look on www.Argos.ie as the size you require (7ft) may be an issue. Why 7ft by the way?, the FL of your scope should be typically no more than 1500mm, which means the tube length would only be about 5ft or so.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• Perseus
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 5 months ago #66335 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
Thanks for that John.

Do you have some kind of heater in it to stop optics becoming damp?

The reason I was thinking 7 ft is the neatest way to store dob is fully assembled with Tube assemply pointing up. The total height including stand is about 6ft.

More
16 years 5 months ago #66336 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
No heater I'm afraid, though I don't think one is needed. How many observatories do you know that heat their scope?
If you're worried about damp on the mirror then just pack some desiccant packs in with it. I keep the tube in its original packaging complete in cardboard box and plastic bag. The only things I bring inside are my eyepieces, cameras and my Powertank.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 5 months ago #66339 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
Heres is the 6'x6' Keter Plastic Shed I got in Woodies. Cost about 300 euros. I think you can get a 6x3 version which IIRC I worked out would also fit the scope (but scope alone however). Argos also do them or a similar design. I ended up getting the bigger one to accomodate everything and a few garden tools aswell.

I did investigate Johns type initially but found that the dimensions would not accomadate the scope even when pointed horizontal. Short by only an inch or two. Worth checking out though as your scope might be that inch or two shorter.

I know the reason you need to move the scope outside is because of a directive by SWMBO, but after you do it you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner. No or little cooldown, no manhandling the scope through the kitchen and out the door. Will make for more spontaneous viewing decisions. Well it has with me anyway.

Heres the pics.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 5 months ago #66384 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
Just noticed the sack truck you are using to transport the scope. It looks like you modified this to transport the scope from the shed? If so It gives me an idea....huuummm. I have enough room in the kitchen to store my my own Dob, but the trolley could be a good compromise

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds