K-Tec

Sealed Storage container for Dob

More
16 years 5 months ago #66386 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob

Just noticed the sack truck you are using to transport the scope. It looks like you modified this to transport the scope from the shed? If so It gives me an idea....huuummm. I have enough room in the kitchen to store my my own Dob, but the trolley could be a good compromise

Its a collapsable trolley I bought in Woodies (They are red, I painted mine black).

A few bits of Plywood and job was a goodin'. The plywood with scope OTA cutout and pipe insulation foam supports the scope left to right and I have two elastic rope luggage ties (also from woodies) to hold the OTA from tilting on its bearings. The big black rectangular wood thing is my EP table I made.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #66407 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
Woodie's do a similar set up to John's except it is not as tall. It is similar in dimentions ki guess to a foot locker/bed cloths chest. It's about a foot and a half high and maybe 5-6 feet long. I think it sells for about €140-170. It's completely water proof (no leaking joints) and air tight.

Wouldnt need to be heated cuz im sure the inside temp is no colder then your house with the heating turned off during the night. Just store the scope in its original packaging and maybe throw a tower over it.

I'm all for getting one if i can find the right battery operated, tamper proof alarm system to install on it.

Even with that though i'm sure i wouldnt sleep soundly at night knowing my lil baby is out there in the garden.

I'd lie awake waiting to hear the alarm go off.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 5 months ago #66416 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
Paul,

I had to purchase an alarm via ebay as I couldn't find anything suitable in any of the hardware store here. I opted for the following:
cgi.ebay.ie/LOUD-PIR-Motion-Alarm-for-ca...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
As well as PIR it also has contact sensors for attachment to the door. For around €20 including shipping its very good value, and can be fitted by any non-tech in a matter of minutes.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 5 months ago #66430 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Sealed Storage container for Dob
I was looking at those alarms online also. Certainly nothing i have seen in shops here is suitable.

Good price there on ebay.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds