K-Tec

be careful out there....

• dmolloy
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 2 months ago #70666 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: be careful out there....
Yes they do have a warning in teeny tiny writing, but......it's much harder to hit a helicopter with a chainsaw, than it is with a green laser pen....that's all. :cry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #70668 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: be careful out there....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but more people have been murdered with hammers than green lasers, yet I can still walk into the hardware store and purchase one, and there's no sign on the handle telling me not to hit someone on the head with it.

If someone uses it in a stupid and reckless manner then they should face the consequences.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• dmolloy
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 2 months ago #70670 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: be careful out there....
Ok....I will own up...I am a Health and safety Advisor by day...I can't help myself.

Yes, hammers and head bones are a bad idea, as are lug wrenches and rocks....but my point is that green laser pens are dangerous if misused, because they appear to be so benign. After all we constantly tell people not to look directly at the sun :) .... why not say also be careful with green laser pens. Or maybe this thread has already done this :?

signed

very concerned
Co Laois

More
16 years 2 months ago #70671 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: be careful out there....
It is easy to make a hand-held star-pointer without using a laser.

If you "baffle" and "collimate" an ordinary flashlight with a simple cylinder of cardboard you will have a neat straight beam pointing into the sky.

Before you laugh...Try it !

In extremely light polluted areas it still works if you do it with a more powerful light such as this:

www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-g2z-combat...cal-flashlights.html

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 2 months ago #70672 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: be careful out there....
With regard to laser pointers and the law.....

From my cold dead hands.....

My brother is fine after his month in the eye and ear and turning him into Rudolf the green nosed reindeer was hilarious.

Learned my lesson though.

Don't light up the nose externally from a distance. You can barely see the green nose with all the glare. Much better to stick the end of your 15mw up a nostril and make the nose glow from the inside.

:wink:

:D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 2 months ago #70676 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: be careful out there....

Don't light up the nose externally from a distance. You can barely see the green nose with all the glare. Much better to stick the end of your 15mw up a nostril and make the nose glow from the inside.

:wink:

Jaysus man, we better get you some decent clear skies ASAP! You must be bored silly by now! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds