K-Tec

International Star Registry

More
16 years 2 months ago #71270 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: International Star Registry
I think that it's agreed by all that this is simply a scheme to get money from people at a vulnerable time in their lives, the death of a loved one has to be the lowest point that anyone can reach, and as such you are susceptible to these vultures.

A couple of questions comes to mind when you "buy a star", are the "bought" stars circumpolar? If not, are people informed that it disappears from the skies for months at a time?

If someone came to me about "buying" a star, I would inform them of the illegitimacy of the name, and then tell them to look up at the night sky, pick out a star that will remind them of their loved one, and every time they see that star remember them. It's free and it's just as effective as "buying" a star. You can give them the proper name, Antares, Sirius, etc., and even provide them with an image.

Unfortunately what they are doing is not illegal, but information may save some soul from heartache.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 2 months ago #71274 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: International Star Registry
I've been thinking a lot about this over the past few days. It just occurs to me that maybe were all getting a little bit too condecending and maybe taking the whole idea a little too seriously. Don't shoot me I'm just putting the idea out there.

Heres some selected text from the front page of one such 'service'.

The ********* Star Registry began in 1979 when our founder wanted to name a star for his young daughter. He was told that by policy astronomers do not name stars, but further research showed that there was nothing to prevent him from starting a star naming service himself.

Astronomers do not use the names we designate to stars but always refer to them by position or catalogue number. Naming a star is therefore not a scientific venture but a symbolic gesture of regard, friendship or love.

I've bolded those bits (not bold face on the website)

As mentioned, this text is right on the front page so its clear to anyone visiting the site that such a name is not official. As long as you accept this and are happy that the gesture is purely symbolic, then you might say why is that so bad??

Maybe sometimes, we astronomers can get our heads stuck up or 'youknowwhats' a little?

Comments?

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
16 years 2 months ago #71275 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: International Star Registry

I've been thinking a lot about this over the past few days. It just occurs to me that maybe were all getting a little bit too condecending and maybe taking the whole idea a little too seriously. Don't shoot me I'm just putting the idea out there.

Heres some selected text from the front page of one such 'service'.

The ********* Star Registry began in 1979 when our founder wanted to name a star for his young daughter. He was told that by policy astronomers do not name stars, but further research showed that there was nothing to prevent him from starting a star naming service himself.

Astronomers do not use the names we designate to stars but always refer to them by position or catalogue number. Naming a star is therefore not a scientific venture but a symbolic gesture of regard, friendship or love.

I've bolded those bits (not bold face on the website)

As mentioned, this text is right on the front page so its clear to anyone visiting the site that such a name is not official. As long as you accept this and are happy that the gesture is purely symbolic, then you might say why is that so bad??

Maybe sometimes, we astronomers can get our heads stuck up or 'youknowwhats' a little?

Comments?

It's a very touching blurb, but I don't buy it. If they really were doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, why are they charging? If it were a charity or other non-profit organisation then it would be in line with the sentiments expressed above. Are they a charity or non-profit? If not, this is just more emotional manipulation. Getting rich off of the misery of others doesn't go down at all well with me.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 2 months ago #71278 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: International Star Registry
I just went to www.starregistry.com/ to see how honest they are. It took a lot of effort but right down at the VERY bottom of the page in TINY writing that is ALMOST THE SAME COLOURS AS THE BACKGROUND it says:

International Star Registry star naming is not recognized by the scientific community.
Your stars name is reserved in International Star Registry records only.

That's not being up-front and honest! That's doing the bare bare minimum not to fall foul of the law!

Prices range from $54.00 up to $479.00. That is day-light robbery! They are charging you vast amounts of month for basically nothing. Disgraceful!

Things are even worse on our 'local' branch over at www.starregistry.co.uk/ . I've looked and I can't find any disclaimer AT ALL! Either it's really well hidden or it's just not there. What I can say for certain is that it's not prominent.

The closest we get is this little line in the FAQ:

Will astronomers call the star by its new name?
No. In professional astronomical and scientific circles the star you name will be referred to either by telescope co-ordinates or by identity number.

Note the use of "new name". Sure seems to imply that this name has at least SOME meaning beyond the star registry. Of course it doesn't. Not open or honest or up front.

Apparently UK consumer protection legislation is not as good as the US's.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 2 months ago #71280 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: International Star Registry

That's the thing - the company you highlighted Dave does absolve itself from responsibility. However, as they confirmed that what they have has, for lack of a better term, no legal standpoint, then why take money for the service? It is chumps who read it, acknowledge it, but are still daft enough to part with ther money that gets me.

Who's the bigger idiot - the supplier willing to supply a service/product of no legal existence, or the person willing to buy that service/product?

:!:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 2 months ago #71283 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: International Star Registry
I seem to recall a similar scam (probably still running) to sell off land on the moon. I know there are vunerable people out there....but it don't make it right to take advantage. As for those poor suckers who bought land on the moon.....I wouldn't hold my breath.... not much point really :wink:

Declan

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds