K-Tec

International Star Registry

More
16 years 2 months ago #71195 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: International Star Registry

But what will telling the family this actually achieve?

It will prevent other families getting conned. They are probably happily telling everyone how great it is and giving these con artists massive free advertising. You need to be very careful and tactful in how you discuss it, but I think honesty is the best policy.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #71196 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: International Star Registry
We've also been asked about this before in the club, this is a total con job indeed !!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 2 months ago #71197 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: International Star Registry
I personally think they are noting but a bunch of scumbags. Making a profit from praying on the innocence of the deceased family is sick.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 2 months ago #71198 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: International Star Registry

It will prevent other families getting conned.

The problem is that much as we despise the scum who peddle these type of scams we must remember that to the people who buy them, they've only been conned once its explained to them. If they never find out then they remain just as happy as if all this were real and official. If you tell them you are turning them from happy customers into con job victims.

My advice is to definitely dissuade people from buying in advance, if possible. However once its too late, just say nothing, unless they ask you a direct question like "Is my star name recognised by the IAU?" Where you have no real choice but to tell them the sad truth.

Comedian, Billy Connolly once said that "If you beleive in God, then he does exist. At least for you." Apply this to this context and you see that if you beleive that a star in the sky is named after a loved one then, at least for you, it is.

What's needed here is some sort of way to be able to challenge these scumbags in the courts and puit a stop to their con job.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• cobyrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 2 months ago #71202 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: International Star Registry

The problem is that much as we despise the scum who peddle these type of scams we must remember that to the people who buy them, they've only been conned once its explained to them. If they never find out then they remain just as happy as if all this were real and official. If you tell them you are turning them from happy customers into con job victims.

I couldn't agree more, and that is why I'm not sure anyone should tell them - they have enough on their plate at the moment with the suicide of a loved one without the added shame of finding out that they are con job victims.

What's needed here is some sort of way to be able to challenge these scumbags in the courts and puit a stop to their con job.

That is the other side of the coin - to challenge them in court, you need their victims to speak. And their victims cannot speak until they know they are victims.

More
16 years 2 months ago #71268 by seamus
Replied by seamus on topic Re: International Star Registry
The victims have a right to know.I would prefer to be sad but know whats happening than happy and ignorant.these people should definetly be chalenged in court but like what country are they from?

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds