Right-Angled Bliss!

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 7 months ago #9308 by spculleton
Right-Angled Bliss! was created by spculleton
I've just come in after a pleasant hour looking through my new Apogee Astro-Vue RA 88 SA binoculars, bounty of my recent foray into the wilds of Manhattan. It's a mouthful of a name for what is basically a lovely pair of 88 mill sem-apo refractors stuck togther. Right-angle is definitely the way to go, but after forking out 700 dollars (600 euro give or take) I'm hardly going to complain am I? Very crisp and sharp star images, quite a large portion of the Orion nebulosity visible - certainly more than I am accustomed to seeing through binos - and a distinctive oval shape to Saturn. The Moon impressed me most, as per usual, although there was a definite green tinge along the eastern limb.

I'm convinced that there is always a downside to every purchase in this hobby, no matter how small or large. I need a bigger tripod. While Saturn was distinctly oval, I couldn't be sure of seeing the gap between the disc and the rings because of wobble in the mount. While R-A is certainly comfortable and involves absolutely zero neck strain, it is less intuituve than straight-through I find. Maybe I'll get used to it, or maybe I need a laser pointer!

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you. Three cheers for the customs officials and their extended tea-breaks!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 7 months ago #9310 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Right-Angled Bliss!

Three cheers for the customs officials and their extended tea-breaks!

Shane. Just say the customs stopped you coming through with those binos. Couldn't you just say that you brought them with you on the outward journey of your hols? How could they prove you didnt? Just curious.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 7 months ago #9311 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Right-Angled Bliss!
Congrats Shane on your recent purchase! If you need anyone to help lifting them out the back garden, give me a shout! :wink:

More
19 years 7 months ago #9312 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Right-Angled Bliss!
Customs would look for a receipt of purchase in the EU. And just 'cos you don't have it on you, they'll not let it go...

That said, I must've entered Dublin airport at the same time of day as you shane - no questions about my DSI 'cos no-one was there. And this was just before xmas and all the warnings on TV...

More
19 years 6 months ago #9313 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Right-Angled Bliss!
and long may it continue :P

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 6 months ago #9314 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Shane, I hope you have many future hours viewing with this! Just curious, what's the field of view on it?, does it accept interchangeable eyepieces?

Nice one
Keith. :P

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds