• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 6 months ago #9659 by ftodonoghue
Sun spots was created by ftodonoghue
Hi guys

I have just tried to project the sun for the first time to see if I could see any Sun spots.....I have a 70mm skylux....I think I managed to do it correctly but am I correct in saying that there is not much to see at the moment. I have checked www.spaceweather.com and it is saying 15 sunspots, but I presume these may be too small for me to observe. Thanks in advance

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #9661 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: Sun spots
Hi Trevor,

I have been observing this morning as well and as it happens the sun is almost blank except for a few tiny pores in the east and elsewhere. Hardly a good morning for projecting sunspots! If you make sure that the limb of the sun is sharp in your projection then any spots visible will be observed.

Spaceweather sometimes don't update as often as SOHO, and I find the following link useful.

www.esa.int/esaCP/ASE08Y9KOYC_Protecting_0.html

I see that you are using the "Skylux", what sort of filter have you got?

Hope this is some help?

Johnmc.

More
19 years 6 months ago #9662 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Sun spots
Hi Trevor,
you are probably doing it right! I have the Skylux too, and I use it for projection now and again. Have a look at the TAS website, and under the Transit pages, you'll see how I do a (rough) guide to projection, with pictures, with the Skylux.

:)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 6 months ago #9664 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Sun spots
Thanks for the help lads.

I don't have any solar filter, I am just projecting onto card. I didn't realise I needed a filter for projection.....

Seanie, what magnification do you find best with the skylux for projecting the sun.

Cheers
Trevor

More
19 years 6 months ago #9665 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: Sun spots
You don't, but sometimes the direct viewing method will bring up the smaller detail, but this MUST only be done using a suitable filter!

Johnmc.

More
19 years 6 months ago #9673 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Sun spots

Thanks for the help lads.

I don't have any solar filter, I am just projecting onto card. I didn't realise I needed a filter for projection.....

Seanie, what magnification do you find best with the skylux for projecting the sun.

I use them all Trevor (FYI, I use Celestron eyepieces, not the ones that came with the Skylux). So, I use 35mm, 16mm, 9mm, & 6mm eyepieces. The last one (highest magnification) is quite useless unless the sun is high up and the air clear. You don't need to use a solar filter with projection really, I made one from a sheet of Baader film though to view the sun directly through with my eyes. If I think of it, I'll take a picture of it and post it later (I'm not on my computer now!).

And, if you want, I could make a solar filter for about €30 for you? (I advertise this, because I have made 3 so far for other interested people who have the Skylux too!).

Just a thought!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds