Announcement - IFAS Supernova Search and Meteor Watch

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 1 week ago #34187 by dmcdona
Folks

Following work done over the past year, we are now at the stage where we can start the IFAS Advanced Observing Program Supernova Search (IFASAOPSS) :D

We are going to start very gently and build the search up over the coming months. This is partly because we are resource limited and partly so participants can bed in slowly.

The main details are available at: www.astroshack.net/AOP.php

If you have any questions, drop me a mail or post/PM me here on the IFAS boards.

I'm also getting together details of a Meteor Watch in preparation for the Orionids - and Terry Moseley has very kindly put together a bunch of super tips, tricks and procedures which I'll distribute in the next few days.

Cheers

Dave

p.s we need motivated volunteers to help with a software communication strategy - any takers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 1 week ago #34193 by dmcdona
Folks - we now have a volunteer who will do the blinking for us.

If you look at the link above, on the website there's a list of 10 targets. If folks can start taking images of these that would be super. At this stage I guess we're learning the ropes, so even if you can only get one image that would still be a great step forward.

And don't forget, the quality of the image is not critical - it really doesn't have to look like any of the images poster here. Moreso, if you look at the example images posted on the link below, they are the best I've managed myself. Most are a lot granier but still more than adequate for this project.

cheers
Dave

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 1 week ago #34247 by dmcdona
Folks - I have posted excellent information on meteor observing from Terry Moseley.

The observing notes are extremely comprehensive and very useful. Terry has also provided a log sheet.

Both files can be found here:
www.astroshack.net/Meteor%20Watch.php

We are looking for volunteers to have a lash at meteor observing this coming week (The Orionids). The data will be rolled up and reported to all the appropriate authorities (BAA, IAU etc) - if you submit data, your name will be assigned as a contributor.

We would also like volunteers to collate the data in a form that can be analysed easily. If you can't nip out and observe, perhaps this will suit you. Again, you will be credited as part of the Team and your name will go on the data submission.

We are still working some of the finer details (who the forms are sent to etc). All volunteers will be kept up to date and we'll keep the website and documentation updated so keep dropping by.

All the best

Dave

More
18 years 1 week ago #34295 by ayiomamitis
Dave,

Please excuse me for the dumb question but how did you choose your supernova candidates within Ursa Major? Just curious.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 1 week ago #34300 by dmcdona
Other surveys, because of their latitute, rarely look at this portion of the sky. That's pretty much it.

Within any given area of sky, the galaxies are chosen according to type, magnitude and nearness. Typically face on spirals are best and preferably 'near' to us.

I think over time we'll refine the target list based on scientific data and taking account where other surveys are surveying.

On a final note, we chose 10 as a starting point to enable folks to bed in gently. Any imagers can choose to image just one or all 10 or something in-between. Again, as we progress, we'll expand that number.

HTH

Dave

More
17 years 8 months ago #41017 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Meteor Detection System!
Hi Dave
I have assembled a highly sensitive meteor detection and recording system for; you guessed it, “meteor studies”. This idea came about after visiting Tolis Christou at the Armagh Observatory after the “Robinson Lecture” and looking at the system they have in use on top of the roof.
It detects and only records atmospheric events in its wide field of view in movie format for study. The movie may then be studied frame by frame if required (system may be set to maximum 30fps). It looks like the system will detect stars to third magnitude in real time, so even a relatively dim meteor overhead within the cameras wide FOV will be detected and recorded as the event happens so that the hard drive of the PC will not be clogged up with useless recording information of a starry background. It’s basically a turn key system that I have spent a bit of money on (1100 E approx) and is suitably designed for outdoor permanent use.
Therefore I am just wondering if anyone within the AOP is willing to beta test this system on loan until I have my own observatory up and running :roll: (I will help out of course).
It would be great if this system was “live” and people could access it through the internet and view previous recorded meteor / atmospheric events in detail (just a thought!).
The timing software is self updating from “Atom Time” website, so that any atmospheric events that are recorded are guaranteed to be very highly accurately timed indeed. I may be able to add additional software to for tracking orbital elements.
We need a decent baseline which I think we have already, Eamonn A in Boyle has an all sky system, Tolis in Armagh has good sky coverage with three cameras and wherever next, east coast or south?

Let me know what you think, or if there is any interest!

Regards
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds