K-Tec

Announcement - IFAS Supernova Search and Meteor Watch

More
17 years 8 months ago #41020 by amckinstry
Replied by amckinstry on topic autmatic reporting ?
Hi,

I'm currently working on scripts and forms for the new AOP website
to enter meteor watch data. Can your system provide data automatically?

If so, how can I access it, or what would you like the AOP site to do
to make life easier?

(Need to put a database behind the website to collect the data,
if anyone is interested in volunteering)

- Alastair

Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist - Kenneth Boulding (Economist)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #41024 by Mike
Hi Alistair

The software I have is commercial software that I have purchased. Although it could be improved upon and features added to the system for private research and specific purposes I suppose!
I am unfortunately not an expert on PC programming languages that is why I leave this open to suggestions and advice on this forum on how to maximize this system to its fullest, by the many skills available through the people on this forum.
The recording and filtering of meteor events could be uploaded to the AOP website were people could view them and a database setup by time, date, year, brightest events, and other atmospheric events etc etc. that could be accessed and obtain data from.

Many thanks
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 8 months ago #41025 by amckinstry
Hi Mike,

Is the output format of the software documented anywhere? Can
it upload it to a website automatically? How do
you extract the data from your system; maybe I can write a script
(for the AOP server) to do it automatically.

Regards
Alastair

Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist - Kenneth Boulding (Economist)

More
17 years 8 months ago #41030 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Meteor Detection System!
Hi Alistair, some good thoughts…

Here is a link to the website software section including a manual explaining the software features…
sonotaco.com/e_index.html .

Software is entitled “UFO-Capture” :D and it was designed by a Japanese chap. As you can see on the website, you can download a free trail evaluation copy (full function version cost is 18,900 JY).
There are some nice add-on programs available such as UFO-Analyzer and UFO-Orbit which calculates precise direction and elevation of atmospheric events and obtains an orbit of a fireball observed by more than two sites.
See what you think about its functionality for your ideas, hopefully it will work out and you can let us know.

Cheers Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 8 months ago #41401 by amckinstry
Replied by amckinstry on topic MIDAS software for blinking
Hi,

Talking with Andy Shearer here in NUIG, he has recommended we
look at MIDAS software from the ESO as free software for blinking.

(For those who have Mac OSX, look at the SciSoft package; it looks
quite comprehensive).

He reckons this could be scripted behind the website. I'm investigating
further. Has anyone any opinions on this?

- Alastair

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 7 months ago #42530 by dmcdona
Alastair, many apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Its a shame work has to get in the way of this hobby :wink:

I'm for anything that does the job and is free! If you think it is the way to go, fire ahead.

I know this is slow work and more so that we are all essentially volunteers but I and IFAS really appreciate all this background work going on. Please keep it up.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds