K-Tec

wednesday night

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 11 months ago #34873 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: wednesday night

But there are still other issues, such as his failings to recognise other Irish astronomy organisations, reply to e-mails from them, and even mention in his magazine anything that has nothing to do with A&S.

Thats a fair point Seanie. ...and I deed that is my number one priority in my self appointed crusade!! I'm sure you won't mind me telling you that the biggest hurdle I am coming accross (from AI's side of the fence), WAS how some of the posts that we used to see here. What I'm looking at is getting AI to soften up so that AI won't be seen so much as the great big ogre. I know for a fact that Mr Moore is a great fan of what IFAS is trying to acheive. So if I can get AI to start supporting some IFAS endeavours then maybe we will see the relations between the two bodies thaw further still. I really hope it does work out like that because basically both are trying to fight the same war.

Now maybe I'm not being told the full truth here, but from what I gather, A&S magazine never receive announcements of club events etc from IFAS clubs. Maybe you all just gave up when they weren't published, I really don't know.

So c'mon guys get your secretaries to start mailing notices to A&S and let me follow them up for you. Currently A&S send out just shy of 3,500 magazines. That's 3,500 amateur astronomers waiting to read about your club.

..and lastly and this is my only little gripe here, but it does rather annoy me that IFAS clubs seem to pretend that A&S magazine does not exist. I've looked at a lot yof IFAS club websites (probably not them all) but I can't remember seeing any references to A&S mag. There are references to UK and US commercial magazines, but not to A&S. Look at it this way, almost 3,500 people like A&S enough to shell out 40 lids a year on it, every single day I see mails from people in this country and all around the world congratulating A&S. If 3,500 people subscribe with plonkers like me writing for them imagine what it could be like with some input from you guys.

As I said, maybe I haven't gotten the full truth, but the old story of the guy praying to win the lotto springs to mind......you know how it goes, God appears to him and says c'mon Paddy, meet me half way, buy a ticket!

I've heard IFAS mentioned in AI circles as 'the competition'. I'd take that as a compliment to the great job you guys do. Maybe competition is a good thing in itself. I do think co-operation though would be a far better plan.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #34874 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: wednesday night
Hi Dave

I have submitted a few pieces on Kerry Astronomy Club in the last year and never saw any published. I will let AI know again that Kerry Astronomy Club publish a free newsletter,(which can be downloaded from our website. ) hold monthly meetings and regular observing sessions. We have quite a few members of AI in KErry Astronomy Club

Cheers
Trevor

• DaveGrennan
More
17 years 11 months ago #34875 by DaveGrennan
Hi Trevor, please do submit them and let me know when you do. Notices of meetings and club events should be of particular interest to A&S readers in Kerry.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 11 months ago #34876 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: wednesday night
I will do dave. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.

Cheers
Trevor

• DaveGrennan
More
17 years 11 months ago #34877 by DaveGrennan

I will do dave. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.

I really hope so too Trevor.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 11 months ago #34878 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: wednesday night

What I'm looking at is getting AI to soften up so that AI won't be seen so much as the great big ogre.

I'm not an ogre! Oh thats an I not an l ... ok :-)

Now maybe I'm not being told the full truth here, but from what I gather, A&S magazine never receive announcements of club events etc from IFAS clubs. Maybe you all just gave up when they weren't published, I really don't know.

So c'mon guys get your secretaries to start mailing notices to A&S and let me follow them up for you. Currently A&S send out just shy of 3,500 magazines. That's 3,500 amateur astronomers waiting to read about your club.

Notices have been sent in recent times. I sent a notice regarding my light pollution talk to SDAS next week, I've no idea if that got published or made it into an email announcement. I sent a letter to the editor reviewing the IDA conference in Portsmouth and offered to write a more indepth article, but heard nothing back. Can people cc you on notifications to A&S to ensure they get published, or at least to make sure they get through?

..and lastly and this is my only little gripe here, but it does rather annoy me that IFAS clubs seem to pretend that A&S magazine does not exist. I've looked at a lot yof IFAS club websites (probably not them all) but I can't remember seeing any references to A&S mag.

Not the mag per say but ILPAC and SDAS have links to astronomy.ie and have had for quite a long time. I've asked Aeye to link back to us from their website but heard nothing back. The most recent email was September 28th. Perhaps encouraging link exchanges between clubs would be a better place to start rather than effectivly asking clubs to promote a magazine which has (up to now?) completely ignored IFAS and any group that has had anything to do with IFAS.

Regarding the mag I'll be happy to mention the mag from the ILPAC site when they publish an article from ILPAC. Just a mention mind you, Aeye wouldn't like to read my review of A&S magazine!

I've heard IFAS mentioned in AI circles as 'the competition'. I'd take that as a compliment to the great job you guys do. Maybe competition is a good thing in itself. I do think co-operation though would be a far better plan.

Good luck convincing Aeye on co-operation! As I've mentioned before to you I'm happy to work with Aeye though ILPAC/IDA, but at the moment my emails dont even get replied to. If we can get some cooperation going thats great. I'll look forward to the ogre softening :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds