• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 11 months ago #34847 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: wednesday night
Peter,

Its a fair question you ask.

If you look through these boards over the past couple of years you will find that this whole topic has been discussed to death and back again.

I've personally been working VERY hard to bring IFAS and Astronomy Ireland (As an active member of theses boards, the South Dublin AS and AI) to at least warm up relations between IFAS and AI. I'm currently trying to organise to get AI's resources behind some IFAS members endeavours. It would be very helpful to me if we didn't get into another of those threads right now.

I firmly beleive in the IFAS ethos of collaboration and co-operation. AI could learn a lot from it. I also beleive in the public outreach ethos of AI. I think there is a lot that IFAS clubs could learn from that too, particularly in the area of grabbing the attention of the media and getting astronomy into the public spotlight.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 11 months ago #34849 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: wednesday night
dave you took the words write out of my mouth, that would be a great thing for astronomy as a hole, astronomy would be the only winner!!

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• carlobeirnes
  • Topic Author
More
17 years 11 months ago #34850 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: wednesday night
let us know what you all think of this idea, would love the feed back.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
17 years 11 months ago #34852 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: wednesday night
Anyone can do outreach. It's simply a matter of setting up your telescope on the pavement (even if it's just outside your front door), and inviting neighbours and passersby to view the Moon or Saturn, or whatever takes your fancy. (Be sure to bone up on some basic facts though, as you will be asked questions - usually how far away?, how big?, whats it made of? etc.) Try it some time, it's a blast.

Maybe AI are changing course? We'll see!

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
17 years 11 months ago #34853 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: wednesday night
I am totally new to the hobby, but i think AI are alright. fair enough i havnt much expirience, but they have been dead helpfull and quite competitive on prices also and I will be purchasing from them in the immediate future .seems they have changed from how a lot of you guys know them from a few years ago. just shows how a reputation can stick even if you change! lets hope their new reputation grows, with their entheusiam to further the astronomy bug in Ireland and service for repeat customers rather than for a quick buck. Go AI!

More
17 years 11 months ago #34854 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: wednesday night
They are all valid points, and yes, kudos to A&S for becoming more competitive to entice customers - it helps them also win as well as the company in the process. It then takes the sour taste out of the mouth.

But there are still other issues, such as his failings to recognise other Irish astronomy organisations, reply to e-mails from them, and even mention in his magazine anything that has nothing to do with A&S.

That gripe will always be there until he cops on and stops being so arrogant of his company, being the only 'club' in Ireland.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds