K-Tec

IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2006 - Dave McDonald!

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 9 months ago #38872 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Delighted for you Dave, well deserved.

"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty." -- Albert Einstein

Keep on going :D

Deirdre Kelleghan
irishastrosoc.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #38873 by Matthew C
WEll done dave! very much deserved! 8) :o

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
17 years 9 months ago #38919 by johnflannery
Well done Dave and richly deserved. The talk you gave SDAS last year was a fantastic insight into the huge amount of work you have put into the hobby and your willingness to share with others is inspirational.

All the best,

John

More
17 years 9 months ago #39000 by dmcdona
Folks - thanks ever so much for all your kind words and your messages of thanks. I think Eammon Ansbro summed up what it was that I set out to achieve for myself, for IFAS and for amateur astronomy in Ireland.

Everything I have done has been bent toward reaching my own personal goals and hopefully drag some of you with me :D That said, there are many folks on these boards - without their advice, I'd have not gotten far. More or less as an aside, I have gladly passed on any learnings I've made to you folks.

I have always used any recognition I've been given to further both IFAS and amateur astronomy in Ireland - I'm not in it for personal glory.

OK, its not the 6-1 news, but IFAS got a mention on the Quantum Leap tonight (they've always been very good to us). Its about 5 seconds long and is right at the end of the show (scroll to 28:50). The key thing is, the show was coming from the Young Scientist Exhibition - so if those folks were listening in, perhaps these boards will get a few more visitors.

www.rte.ie/radio1/quantum/

If we do, of course, I'll be in there helping out where I can.

So, thanks again to everyone here and I'm so glad I've made some kind of a difference and furthered the cause - but only with your help.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

Warm wishes

Dave

More
17 years 9 months ago #39014 by JohnMurphy
Well done Dave, delighted to read this news, well deserved. :P

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
17 years 9 months ago #39037 by dpower
Congratulations Dave!

I have to admit, when I heard about the nominations I completely forgot about you, then once it was announced I thought 'oh hell yes!'.

Dave's achievements this year have been fantastic, the Supernova confirmation, first amateur observatory and tons of publicity for IFAS to name but a few. He's also been a committed KAS member and is always eager to dig in on a local level and help out the little guys :-)

Let's see if you can top it in 2007.

Well deserved and an obvious choice!!

Dave P

IFAS web team

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds