K-Tec

Sidewalk Astronomy

More
17 years 8 months ago #39973 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Sidewalk Astronomy
Thanks John,

Everyone's complementing me today. I'm even getting getting some about astronomy :wink:

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 8 months ago #39983 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Sidewalk Astronomy
Fridays showing was clouded out. :(
Thems the breaks I suppose but at least we had one good night. Thanks again to all who put in the effort of turning up with scopes.
Last night we also had Liam Smyth bring his scope, Liam has been a member of the IAS since 1947, and is one of the most regular participants at sidewalk astronomy. Just a pity we never got the chance to even set up.

The next sidewalk astronomy session will be in Sandymount by the Martello tower in February. Again all are welcome to attend. If anyone else is thinking of organising something similar in their location just post it on these boards, I for one will be happy to help out if I can.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 8 months ago #39990 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
soc.jpl.nasa.gov/experience/gallery-archive-stories.cfm

Yes indeed our next public outreach viewing will be in Sandymount on Feb 10th,8:pm - 10pm at the Martello Tower Car Park
In conjunction with amateur astronmers all over the world we will show Saturn to everyone who comes along.

It's part of The Saturn Observation Campaign - Saturn Observation Nights in and around Saturn's opposition, listed above are the events posted world wide so far, it's all so weather dependant so fingers and toes crossed for clear skies, we must be due a run of them soon

soc.jpl.nasa.gov/viewing.cfm

Irish Astronomical Society 1937 - 2007
www.irishastrosoc.org

soc.jpl.nasa.gov/index.cfm
www.sketchthesky.com/

More
17 years 8 months ago #39991 by phil18ie
Replied by phil18ie on topic Sidewalk Astronomy
I only managed to show up at around 10pm or so but by then the clouds has rolled in!!!!! But by the sounds of it, it seems the people who came along had a great time. When I get my new scope I will bring it along. Was very kindly invited to a cuppa in John Murphy's house. Thanks John. Deirdre showed me her display of her incredible moon drawings. Will try to get along to the next observing night in Sandymount in February.

Regards,

Philip

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 8 months ago #39993 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Sidewalk Astronomy
Phil,

Thanks for coming, it's always nice to meet a neighbour with a similar passion. Please do bring a scope to Sandymount, even if it's cloudy Joe public will appreciate the instruments that we so often take for granted.

Apart from enlightening the public to the fact that there is a Universe above their heads, public participation in viewing sessions like these will help people to understand the importance of reducing light polution. Wouldn't it be nice if a neighbour thought beforehand about installing a new yard light that has enough power to cook the neighbourhood moggie. If he's had a look through a scope and realised what it's all about he might be more inclined to see your point of view when you ask him to douse the lights. It's important - get your neighbours looking through through your scope and you'll never have any hassle from stray light.

See you in Sandymount :D

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
17 years 8 months ago #40000 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Sidewalk Astronomy
Guys,
I'm glad it worked out for you all (for the most part!) on the night. And a nice athering of people there! Inspiration for other clubs perhaps?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds