K-Tec

Irish Astronomical Society September Talk in Dunsink

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 1 month ago #50579 by DeirdreKelleghan

We hope you will join us at Dunsink Observatory for our first talk of the season.

Terry Moseley will tell us about all that is Irish and astronomical.
We could not think of a better platform for this talk than the Meridian Room in Dunsink Observatory.

We would like to thank the Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies for their support and the use of this historic national treasure.

At Dunsink Observatory there is plenty of parking, enter from the Castleknock end. This is a free event, no children under 12 for insurance reasons. Otherwise all wellcome on the night.

Deirdre Kelleghan
President
Irish Astronomical Society 1937 - 2007
homepage.eircom.net/~irishas/index.htm
nightskysketcher.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
17 years 1 month ago #50839 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Just a reminder to all that our first meeting of the season is next Monday September 17th in Dunsink Observatory.

Hope to see many of you there.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
homepage.eircom.net/~irishas/index.html

More
17 years 1 month ago #50844 by Mike
Hi Deirdre
I see one of the venues is "Newgrange" which is just up the road from me; can you give more information on this or point me in the right direction for additional information?
Oh, and I see the IAS has now completed 70 Earth orbits, an excellent achievement (on been 70, not the orbits)!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 1 month ago #50849 by albertw

I see one of the venues is "Newgrange" which is just up the road from me; can you give more information on this or point me in the right direction for additional information?

I think those locations refer to the 'Where' in the title, ie notable places for Irish Astronomy.

The venue is Dunsink Observatory. Just off the M50 so should be easy to get to for those in nearby counties - map. Approach from the N3/M50 roundabout

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 1 month ago #50850 by Mike
Ah yes, I see that now Al, it was just a bit confusing to me initially, thanks for making that clear, not sure if I can make it for the 17th, but I wish the event the very best.
The poster has a starry background with an outline of Ireland on it (obviously), it’s a pity it not an actual representation of light pollution in Ireland, perhaps one day! Anyone read the article in September 2007 edition of “Astronomy Now”, page 22 on light pollution, scary stuff indeed.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 1 month ago #50967 by JohnMurphy
Hopefully the night will be clear and some observing time can be had after the talk. If your coming, bring a scope along if you can - the more the merrier. Observing with your own scope in the historical grounds of Dunsink is one of the must do's of life, and this is the perfect opportunity.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds