K-Tec

Irish Astronomical Society September Talk in Dunsink

More
17 years 1 month ago #51006 by michael_murphy
Just to check,

I'm not sure where Dunsink lane has been blocked off.

I'll be going through the Phoenix park. I assume I can access the obevatory from the end of Dunsink lane in Castleknock?

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #51099 by JohnMurphy
Thanks to Terry Mosely for a very interesting talk. I hope all who attended enjoyed the evening, I know I did.
For once we were blessed with clear skies and took the opportunity to use the refractor in the South Observatory.
One hopes events like this can raise the profile of Dunsink and hopefully breath new life into the observatory. It would be criminal to allow this institution to lapse into disuse and not allow the public to enjoy it's benefits. As Terry pointed out, Ireland would be one of the only "civilised" countries in the world without a working National observatory if Dunsink were to close to the public.
We should really take a leaf out of Armagh Observatory's book and re-vitalise Dunsink for the Irish public. Every opportunity should be taken to force our Government to pay attention and cough up for some much needed resources. Irish astronomy and the public would be the richer for it.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds