IFAS Podcast in Crisis - Time To Make Some Decisions

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 week ago #52371 by voyager
Hi folks,

You may or may not have noticed that there has been no IFAS podcast this month. This is because I just haven't had the time and that's not really likely to change for the next 6 months at least. Over the last few months I've been dedicating less and less time to the cast and this month I just didn't get the time to do it at all.

If no one noticed that the cast didn't arrive then the future of the cast is clear, it just needs to end since no one is listening anyhow.

On the other hand, if people do miss it then something needs to be done to save it. As I see it there are a few choices:

1) We reduce the number of episodes, perhaps have it as a quarterly show rather than a monthly show

2) We get more people involved so that the work gets done

3) We switch to a less formal setup. Rather than having lots of contributors emailing their contributions to an editor who then has to stitch together a show instead we let people publish their own bits straight to the RSS feed. Articles will them come out as and when contributers upload them. There would be a small learning curve involved but I'd be happy to help out with that.

So, folks, it really is over to you. Right now this second the podcast is dead, this thread is a chance to revive it. Over to you guys!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 week ago #52372 by paulevans
I think it ought to stay as a single programme monthly, although devolving editorial control to a numbe of people might be interesting I suspect it would be a disaster one way or another.

I am also willing to lend a hand. I have a friendly voice, can drive an audio editor and upload stuff - what needs done?

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 week ago #52374 by voyager

I think it ought to stay as a single programme monthly, although devolving editorial control to a numbe of people might be interesting I suspect it would be a disaster one way or another.

I am also willing to lend a hand. I have a friendly voice, can drive an audio editor and upload stuff - what needs done?

Well, what is the most time-consuming is definitely the hosting/editing roll that I've been playing. I'd be happy to contribute monthly articles if yourself or someone else could take over the job of tying it all together. Would you be interested?

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 week ago #52375 by paulevans
Yes Bart, I'd certainly be happy to give it a go.

More
17 years 1 week ago #52376 by dave_lillis
Why not just keep it simple Bart, I try and have it that the section I submit is just a case of copy and past it to the end of the podcast, maybe if all the contributors did their part with that in mind, would it be alot simpler and faster for you and would only be a 10 minute job ?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 1 week ago #52378 by Seanie_Morris

If no one noticed that the cast didn't arrive then the future of the cast is clear, it just needs to end since no one is listening anyhow.

That's a little harsh Bart! I never think about it until I see the Queue to Call so to speak. I'd say many of us are like that. There are many, many options all over the net for something to download, read, or click into every day of the week, but that does not mean that by the time IFAS's podcast comes along that it is seen as not beneficial, dated, or anything like that. It helps this site - be proud to be part of it.

Out of curiosity, can you tell how many downloads it takes each month?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds