K-Tec

IFAS Podcast in Crisis - Time To Make Some Decisions

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 week ago #52380 by voyager

Why not just keep it simple Bart, I try and have it that the section I submit is just a case of copy and past it to the end of the podcast, maybe if all the contributors did their part with that in mind, would it be alot simpler and faster for you and would only be a 10 minute job ?

If only it were that simple. Everyone has different levels on their pieces and submits them in different formats. The work isn't really in the few seconds of playing DJ between submissions but in turning a load of differently encoded audio at different levels into one listen-to-able unit. It involves quite a bit more than copy+paste I'm afraid.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #52381 by Seanie_Morris

If only it were that simple. Everyone has different levels on their pieces and submits them in different formats. The work isn't really in the few seconds of playing DJ between submissions but in turning a load of differently encoded audio at different levels into one listen-to-able unit. It involves quite a bit more than copy+paste I'm afraid.

And as a DJ I have all that kind of software to help. So, just in case we decide to split responsibilities on this, I can be the human recording desk? :)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 1 week ago #52382 by dave_lillis

If no one noticed that the cast didn't arrive then the future of the cast is clear, it just needs to end since no one is listening anyhow.

Of course we noticed, but we all know how busy you are, I was reluctant to say anything. Is there a standardised way we can record so that it would a simple task of glueing the sections together?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 week ago #52387 by voyager

If no one noticed that the cast didn't arrive then the future of the cast is clear, it just needs to end since no one is listening anyhow.

Of course we noticed, but we all know how busy you are, I was reluctant to say anything. Is there a standardised way we can record so that it would a simple task of glueing the sections together?

Not quite. You can speed things up but it never gets to the "just stick em together" stage. At the moment the work flow goes like this:

For Each Submission:
1) If that submission is in a compressed format (WP3, WMA ...) rather than an uncompressed format (WAV or AIF), convert to AIF.
2) Run the AIF or WAV through a program called The Levelator, generating an AIF with all the levels equalized.

For the Podcast:
1) Gather all the submission, chase after those you don't get on time
2) Record your wee intros etc.
3) Stick it all together, stick the pre-prepared theme music in as needed
4) Transcode to MP3
5) Upload to Web Server
6) Write shownotes, stick in everyone's images and maps.
7) Publish the cast on Wordpress then announce on IFAS boards

So, as you can see, there's quite a bit to it. As well as doing all that I generally do at least one actual piece for the cast and perhaps an interview too if there's someone to talk to about something. That stuff takes much less time than the production work described above.

Seanie, if you're game to take on the production work, consider it yours :)

Bart.

More
17 years 1 week ago #52401 by dave_lillis
and I was just getting the swing of doing this every month :(
Bart, were we getting many downloads of the podcast, what is the count?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 week ago #52407 by voyager

and I was just getting the swing of doing this every month :(
Bart, were we getting many downloads of the podcast, what is the count?

I've no idea actually ... I must see if I have logs on that server.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds