K-Tec

Are SDAS out tonight?

More
16 years 9 months ago #58676 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Are SDAS out tonight?
So, did you SDAS boys head out after? It was clear earlier on tonight, but now it sounds like a mild hurricane is on the loose.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #58734 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Are SDAS out tonight?

So, did you SDAS boys head out after? It was clear earlier on tonight, but now it sounds like a mild hurricane is on the loose.

Well, I didn't head out - don't know if anyone else did. I spent most of the evening making sure my wheelie bin stayed put :D

More
16 years 9 months ago #58917 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re: Are SDAS out tonight?
Michael,

I went to looking for the Sugarloaf car park, but it seems it has been bulldozed, but I found another interesting site called Ballyremon Commons.
It is about 200 metres past the turn for the Sugarloaf along the Kilmacanogue to Roundwood road
Coordinates are 53° 8'18.04"N 6°10'24.73"W or on Google Maps:
maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.138...=h&z=15&om=1
It seems to be Wicklow County Council land but I didn't get much of a chance to see if there was ample space to park a few cars and set up scopes, but I will try head up there again over the next fews days to have a better look around.

Darragh

More
16 years 9 months ago #58920 by michael_murphy
Sounds interesting. Let us know how you get on.

Michael.

More
16 years 9 months ago #59683 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re: Are SDAS out tonight?
Michael,

I went back down to Ballyremon Commons today around 9pm and I had chat with one of the people who owns a house beside/on the Commons area.
He said that quite a few people seem to use the area for astronomy and even suggest a gravel clearing that could be used.
He also suggested another Commons area beside it
The other commons area looks like the area we visited recently but it has access from the Roundwood road and it's via a lane so there should be no issue with gates.
As the gravel clearing is pretty far from the many road and there is only 2 houses which require access, there should be no issues with car head lights. It also has pretty clear views to all horizons.
BTW, it is only 5.7km from the N11 on a very good regional road.
On the Shankill Model Flying club land, he said the land was rented from a local farmer. If we wanted to go down that route of renting the land, he gave me a contact to talk to.

Darragh

More
16 years 9 months ago #59702 by michael_murphy
Thanks for that Darragh,

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds