K-Tec

British Astronomical Association - IAS weekend in Dublin

More
16 years 1 month ago #72482 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re:British Astronomical Association - IAS weekend
Hi D.

I'll be there on Sat. Really looking forward to it.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #72490 by R Newman
Hi Deirdre, yes I will be ther also, but not very up to date with getting around Dublin, Would be anyone coming in on the N4/M4 for the first talk who I could meet briefly and follow to UCD?

Ronan Newman
Last edit: 16 years 1 month ago by R Newman.

• JohnONeill
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 1 month ago #72495 by JohnONeill
Hi Ronan,

I will be coming from a different direction but I can give you directions.

Head from Galway along the N4. When you meet the M50 take the M50 "Southbound" (not Northbound).

Follow the M50 to the Leopardstown exit (Junction #13) and leave the Motorway then. Follow the Leopardstown Road (R113) straight through (2km) until you meet a large dual carriagway (and a large set of traffic lights). Turn left here in the into town direction (north-bound)

This is the Stillorgan Road (N11), follow along this same road for about 3.5 km. UCD Belfield is a exit at the left (at a fly-over) and is sign posted as such.

see you there
John

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 1 month ago #72524 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:British Astronomical Association - IAS weekend
Just to let attendees know, the parking will be free at UCD on Saturday. There will be however several events on so it will be on a first come first served basis.

Soup , sandwiches , and snacks will be available at lunchtime at the Arts Cafe just beside the Theatre. The Montrose Hotel is just five minutes walk if something more substantial is required :)

Deirdre Kelleghan
PRO IFAS

More
16 years 1 month ago #72606 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re:British Astronomical Association - IAS weekend
A very successful event, thanks to Deirdre Kelleghan (IAS), Hilary O'Donnell (DIAS), and IAS comittee.
For more pics: www.flickr.com/photos/jcmurphy

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• DeirdreKelleghan
More
16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #72607 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:British Astronomical Association - IAS weekend
Many thanks to John Murphy for both taking and uploading these images. First one shows the members of the BAA arriving at Dunsink Observatory. Its 18 years since the BAA held their event in Ireland and visited the Observatory.

I have to give whole hearted thanks to The Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies for supporting the event in Dunsink.

Big thanks to Hilary O'Donnell (DIAS )for her part in putting together the wine reception on Friday. I have never seen the building so full of people.

A virtual round of applause to echo the warm full bodied applause given to Eamonn Ansbro who delivered, one of the best talks we have had to date in the Meridian room.

For UCD on Saturday the IAS gives thanks to

To Dr Niall Smith who told the tale of Blackrock Castle Observatory in a very inviting way.Dr Smith set a relaxed tone and atmosphere for the rest of the proceedings.

To Dr John Mason who told the tale of the recent eclipse in China through some stunning visuals in his own very energetic unique way.

To Dr Stewart Moore who told the tale of Galaxies in a very comprehensive and interesting manner.

To Dr Nick Hewitt who told a detailed visually interesting story with awesome images of beautiful Galaxies.

To Dr Mohsen Shadmehri whose numerical/visual description and models of star formation at the center of our galaxy left me awestruck.

To Professor Tom Ray for his excellent unfolding of the James Webb Telescope story. A ground breaking mission with Irish involvement. This instrument will unlock further deeper knowledge of our solar system within the next five years.

A very big thanks to Leo Enright for his outrageously creative, funny, and very enjoyable after dinner talk.

Thanks to UCD Conference and Events for their assistance, to UCD Services for suppling an excellent audio visual set up, could not have been better.

Thanks to my committee for their energy and input running up to and on the evenings and days of the event.

Hope I have not left anyone out here
If anyone took any other images I would appreciate having them. It was difficult to take good images in the venue due to its size and the lighting.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
Last edit: 16 years 1 month ago by DeirdreKelleghan.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds