K-Tec

J16 - New Irish Observatory

More
15 years 8 months ago #76258 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re:J16 - New Irish Observatory
Congratualations Kieran.

I can concur with you about the meticulous work that is required to obtain the observatory code. Once achieved,
it becomes easier to submit further astrometric positions. Looking forward to Northern Ireland's firat asteroid!

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
15 years 8 months ago #76263 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re:J16 - New Irish Observatory
Hi Kieran,

It's about time :>)). Very well done from me it's always great to here people you know getting there observatory code again well done.

Carl.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
15 years 8 months ago #76265 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:J16 - New Irish Observatory
Kieran, hearty congratulations to you, you deserve it :)

Keith..

More
15 years 8 months ago #76267 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re:J16 - New Irish Observatory
Thanks again for all the kind words guys and I'd also like to congratulate Dave Mc D and Dave G since it would not have been possible without their input.

The first time I realised I had captured an asteroid was back in March last year and I asked Dave McD to identify it.....(1817) Katanga - Mag 15.

I was happy at a lucky capture.

After the two asteroid discoveries I started to check all my pic’s for moving objects and then asking Dave Mc D to identify them. After a while I knew that he would get fed up with me asking him to do all the work. Just before Christmas I found myself imaging M37 and M35 and I caught another one. The next imaging night I actually found myself wishing that I could abandon the run to try and get the same asteroid again.
I e mailed Dave Mc D and told him I thought I might be hooked on this and it all kicked off from there.

Dave Mc D pointed me down the road for software required and Dave G checked the data residuals.

I honestly think this would not have been possible for me without the guys and this site.

I was elated to actually get the code but I was also very disappointed that I could only share the news with Dave and Dave by phone. A BIG GROUP HUG would have been more appropriate.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 8 months ago #76272 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:J16 - New Irish Observatory
Its now officially official...

This is a preliminary version of the observer details to be listed in the Observer Summary in the forthcoming batch of MPCs. Ignore the date and circular numbers, which may or may not be correct.

OBSERVATIONS OF MINOR PLANETS
The summary lists, for each observatory code, the designation of each object observed (an asterisk signifying a new discovery), with three numbers indicating the number of observations, the number of different nights on which the object was observed and the arc (in days) covered by the observations; at the end of each observatory listing there is a count of the total number of observations, of the number of objects and of the number of discoveries followed by an asterisk, together with the total range of dates covered by the observations.

J16 An Carraig Observatory, Loughinisland
K. Rooney, Northern Ireland
0.08-m f/6 refractor + CCD
USNO-B1.0
[28, 3, 0_, 2008/12/27–2009/01/18]

More
15 years 8 months ago #76339 by Rayman
Replied by Rayman on topic Re:J16 - New Irish Observatory
Hi Kieran,

Belated congratulations to you.

Maybe I should have driven up for those Binos after all. Could have taken a peep at your setup!

Best of luck!
Mark

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds