K-Tec

IAS/SDAS Observing on Saturday 3rd

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #84367 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re:IAS/SDAS Observing on Saturday 3rd
It was a most enjoyable session. I'm still getting to know my telescope, and also enjoyed sampling the views through Michael's, Tony's and David's telescopes. I strongly suspect that my small refractor needs to be collimated - anyone have experience with collimation of refractors?

The site is a car park/picnic site on the banks of the river, down a track that leads off the Laragh road across the road from Trooperstown Lodge, as Paul said. There is no barrier there so no danger of being locked in or out. The skies around Laragh are significantly darker than at Sugarloaf, so it it may well be worth the extra 20 minutes traveling time to go there.

Thanks again to Michael and the other "harmless lunatics".

Mike (Casey).

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by mykc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #84368 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:IAS/SDAS Observing on Saturday 3rd
I shouldn't look at these threads. It just reminds me what I am missing and what I have missed over the last year and a bit. The middle of nowhere till 3am with a few fellow scopers and a clear sky sounds like my idea of Heaven. Yes, most everyone else thinks we're lunatics but we know better. We are the tiny fraction of humans who have ever lived to have seen some of the wonders of the universe. Yeah, for the most part they look like faint randomly shaped balls of cotton buts its the mind blowing context that feeds the mind rather than the visuals. Looking at something 2 Billion Lightyears away. Holy $%^$ :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #84369 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re:IAS/SDAS Observing on Saturday 3rd
Congrats on finding 3c273. EPK and I made a point of searching for it last year, it wasn't all that difficult.

If you enter "3c273 finder chart" on a search engine, you should find a very good finder chart from a guy called Jerry Xiaojin Zhu. I've been trying to cut and paste the link, but for some reason it won't work.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by stevie.

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 years 6 months ago #84370 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re:IAS/SDAS Observing on Saturday 3rd
stevie wrote:

If you enter "3c273 finder chart" on a search engine, you should find a very good finder chart from a guy called Jerry Xiaojin Zhu. I've been trying to cut and paste the link, but for some reason it won't work.

And if you key in RA + Dec and then press Goto you can find it as well:) . I still had to check the view in the eyepiece against a chart tho'.

Michael.

More
14 years 6 months ago #84379 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Re:IAS/SDAS Observing on Saturday 3rd
Thanks to Michael, Aubry, David and Mike for an enjoyable night. The location was perfect, good call Mike! Personnally I was thrilled to observe such objects as the ring nebula and whirlpool galaxy. M108 and M97 both in the same field of view which was great, plus plenty of other messier objects which have been out of my grasp for so long, or just hazy clouds with my 10/42's it was finally great to see them. Looking forward to seeing lots more in the future.
Tony

PS. What constellation was the quasar in Michael, just out of interest? It was fantastic to see something so far away that most people dont ever get to see it.

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 years 6 months ago #84380 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re:IAS/SDAS Observing on Saturday 3rd
Glad you enjoyed the night Tony.

The quasar is in Virgo.

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds