K-Tec

IFAS Solar Eclipse Trip to Turkey

More
18 years 10 months ago #19336 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Trying to contact David Bell or Terry Moseley
Hi,
I've been trying to contact David or Terry about the trip to Turkey but not having any luck. David's phone isn't taking any more messages and my friend Mary Ginnety has emailed David a couple of times but had no luck either.
If either of you read this (or anyone can put me in contact with one of them please) can you contact me on 087-2675802 or by email?
Many thanks and Clear Skies.....
Bernie

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #19337 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Trying to contact David Bell or Terry Moseley

Hi,
I've been trying to contact David or Terry about the trip to Turkey but not having any luck. David's phone isn't taking any more messages and my friend Mary Ginnety has emailed David a couple of times but had no luck either.

I'm getting same problem with dave Bell. I wonder if he is away for the past 2 or 3 weeks...

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 10 months ago #19340 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IFAS Solar Eclipse Trip to Turkey
I've been in touch with Terry alright, just not with David.

If people have questions about the trip please feel free to post here and we'll find answers for you. Feel free to cc me on any emails to David and Terry and I'll follow up with them also (albert.white at gmail.com).

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 9 months ago #21767 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IFAS Solar Eclipse Trip to Turkey
Hi,

The following should come as no surprise to those going on the trip. But just in case we've missed someone off the email list, I'm posting it here. If you have not seen this email before please drop me a mail!

Cheers,
~Al

Hi all,

This is now a critical time for those going on the above trip, as final details & payment are required! David Bell has recently (yesterday) emailed everyone on the IFAS Eclipse Group list, followed by a minor correction/amendment today.

BUT just to be absolutely sure that no-one misses out on the information, I am sending the following information out again (comprising the information in both of David's emails, with a few minor additions & corrections) individually to everyone on the address list, as well as to everyone else on my main list, just in case someone has accidentally got erased from one list. So if you get more than one copy of this email, please forgive me!

N.B. If you are going on this trip, and you get this email, but DID NOT get David Bell's emails of yesterday and today, then there's a problem with one of the lists. If that is the case, please reply immediately to me at the above address, with a copy to David Bell at davy.bell@gmail.com.

If you are going on the trip, you must ACT PROMPTLY, as below: Here's a combined, and updated, version of David's two emails:
***********************************************************************************************

"This mail is by way of being a complete up-to-date report on where we are at the moment with regard to the Eclipse trip.

Note that the attachment is a form which I want all to print out and complete and return by ordinary post (but we recommend Registered or Recorded delivery to be safe) to:

David Bell, 1 College Hill, Armagh, Co Armagh, BT61 9DF;

along with your balance, which you can work out from the info therein. Those of you who paid your deposit in sterling take particular note of what is outstanding, as there is a slight discrepancy because of bank charges etc. To those of you who have already paid the balance, I still need you to fill it in anyway and return it, because this form is a final check that everyone is up-to-date with what is going on, so if I don't get it from you I must assume that for some reason you are not getting this email message, upon which the nervous breakdown which I have promised myself for so long will finally materialize... [David]

First of all for the new-comers: The trip will take place in March, leaving Amsterdam on Saturday the 24th of March, and returning the following Saturday, April the 1st. The tour operator is OAD Reizen, a bona fide bonded Dutch tour operator who deal mainly with moving people to and from Turkey. The costs are as follows, for Half Board, in the 5* Hillside Su hotel, (in euros);

499,00 (per adult sharing double or twin room)

539,00 (per adult sharing double or twin room with sea view)

618,00 (per adult in single room)

539,00 (per adult in triple suite)

399,00 (per child in triple suite)

550,00 (triple suite with sea view)

419,00 (per child in triple suite with sea view)

550,00 (per adult on quadruple suite A)

260,00 (per child on quadruple suite A)

15,00 (per baby on quadruple suite A)

There are a few latecomers on this list interested in going, so what you should do is send your deposit of 150 euro (Euros only at this stage please) to me:

David Bell, 1 College Hill, Armagh, Co Armagh, BT61 9DF

accompanied by a note giving your full name as it appears on your passport, your address and your room preference (single, twin, double, etc) (But note that at this late stage you might as well send the total amount)

The flight from Amsterdam to Antalya will be in the late morning, which creates something of a problem. It is unlikely that we could get from Ireland to Amsterdam for Saturday morning, and be in time for the 2-hour check-in for the onward flight from Amsterdam. So for both your peace of mind and ours, we are strongly advising you to fly over to Amsterdam the day before, and overnight there.

To that end, the Hotel Novotel Dorint has been booked for the Friday night. Rates are Eur0 44,00 per person per night staying in a Twin bedded room; Eur 78,00 per person per night staying in a single room; Eur 41,00 per person per night staying in a triple room. All rates based on 'American Breakfast'.

There are about 30 single people going. Given the price of occupying a room on your own, I have included a section in the attached form where you can indicate whether or not you would like to share. I'm afraid that your roommate will have to be arbitrarily allocated, unless you can arrange to share with someone yourself. Here is a list of the singles.

I have deleted this list, as some on it are not willing to share, and other have already made sharing arrangements. If you are prepared to share, let both David and Terry know by return, and we will send you the list of those willing to share. Terry.

FLIGHT TIMES

We now have the flight times to and from Antalya

25-03-06 Amsterdam - Antalya dep. 11h15 l.t. - arr. 16.05 l.t.

01-04-06 Antalya - Amsterdam dep. 07h15 l.t. - arr. 10.05 l.t.

Note that the departure time means that it is highly advisable to fly over to Amsterdam the day before, and stay overnight, as you will have to check-in 2 hours before departure. The return flight on the other hand seems to be early enough to enable returning to Ireland and UK on the same day. But please state if you will require a room in the Novotel Dorint on the way home on the night of Saturday the 1st? And if so do you want a single or double?

BUT THE PROVISO MUST STAND THAT, AS WITH ALL CHARTER FLIGHTS, TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO LAST-MINUTE CHANGE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, AND WE CANNOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR MISSED CONNECTIONS AS A RESULT OF ANY SUCH CHANGE. OUR ADVICE STANDS - FLY TO AMSTERDAM THE DAY BEFORE AND STAY OVERNIGHT.

PAYMENT OF THE BALANCE.

The attachment, as an RTF file, is a form which you should print out, complete and return to David Bell, with payment, by post as soon as possible. We strongly reccommend that you use some form of guaranteed delivery. Work out your balance from the information above, or in the form.

Last minute thoughts

Make sure your passports are up-to-date - they should be valid for at least 6 months after your last day in Turkey (1 April).

Make sure your insurance cover is adequate – is it valid outside the EU? Will it cover any activities that you might undertake, such as Scuba diving, Skiing, etc?

*******************************************************************************************************

Regards
(David Bell and) Terry Moseley

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 9 months ago #21783 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: IFAS Solar Eclipse Trip to Turkey
Al, for some reason I don't seem to be a 'full' member on the Yahoo group, none of my messages are being posted...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 9 months ago #21925 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: IFAS Solar Eclipse Trip to Turkey
Yeah, me neither ~Al.

Is it supposed to be a forum which resembles eg. the IFAS site in some way, or is it simply email-based?

All I've ever gotten are email replies that D. Bell releases between people.
S.thing like the notices you can get to your inbox from this site for each new thread started.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds