K-Tec

Dave McDonald discovers new variable star!

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 years 6 days ago #86864 by michaeloconnell
Dave McDonald discovers new variable star! was created by michaeloconnell
In what is proving a very fruitful month for Irish astronomy, Dave McDonald has discovered a new variable star. Message from the AAVSO VSX:

Dear David J McDonald,

Congratulations! Your submission to VSX of the new variable star 'VSX J012426.9+084154' has been reviewed by a moderator and APPROVED. The data from this submission is now available from the public database. In addition, an AAVSO Unique Identifier (AUID) of 000-BJX-116 has been assigned to the star, and may be used when submitting observations. Your assistance in making VSX a better tool is much appreciated.

www.aavso.org/vsx/index.php?view=detail.top&oid=249715

Fantastic achievement Dave. Many congrats from everyone on the IFAS boards!

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 days ago #86865 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re:Dave McDonald discovers new variable star!
Great stuff Dave. Well done. I had kind of lost the interest in astronomy and only in the last few weeks has it rekindled, and it couldn't have happened at a better time.

Irish astronomy has come a long long way in the last while

Congrats to all concerned
Trevor

Cheers
Trevor

More
14 years 6 days ago #86866 by peterako
Replied by peterako on topic Re:Dave McDonald discovers new variable star!
Wow!

Another Forum member discovery!!

Well done....another...Dave :)

I'm probably doomed to obscurity unless I change my name....

Peter

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
14 years 6 days ago #86868 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Dave McDonald discovers new variable star!
October is now proving to be one of the most productive months for Irish astronomy ever. Dave's discovery is in pisces at (RA=01 24 26.94 DEC=+08 41 54.8). Dave discovered an almost 1/2 magnitude drop in the magnitude of star UCAC3 198-004365 while carrying out a photometric analysis of some asteroids. Following a lot of analysis and hard work by Dave and a lot of correspondence with AAVSO. Dave received confirmation posted by Michael this morning that this variable has now been given the formal designation 000-BJX-116.

There is still alot of work to do to figure out exactly what type of variable star this is. AAVSO have tentatively indicated that it looks a lot like an EA type eclipsing binary.

EA Algol (Beta Persei)-type eclipsing systems are binary stars with spherical or slightly ellipsoidal components. It is possible to determine from their light curves the moments of the beginning and end of the eclipses. Between eclipses the light remains almost constant or varies insignificantly because of reflection effects, slight ellipsoidality of components, or physical variations. Secondary minima may be absent. An extremely wide range of periods is observed, from 0.2 to >= 10000 days. Light amplitudes are also quite different and may reach several magnitudes. In Dave's case he noted a variation of almost half a magnitude.

I'm sure Dave will fill you all in on the gorey details a little later. Dave my heartiest congrats to you on yet another irish discovery. I'm absolutely thrilled for you on this richly deserved discovery. I'm sure Holly is thrilled that her superior canine intellect has reaped further rewards. :P

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
14 years 6 days ago #86869 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Dave McDonald discovers new variable star!
well done Dave, its a great "side effect" of asteroid hunting.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
14 years 6 days ago #86872 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re:Dave McDonald discovers new variable star!
Well done Dave! Thats fantastic!

Looking forward to hearing more on this variable star.

Eamonn

www.kingslandobservatory.com

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds