K-Tec

IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010 - and the winner is...

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 9 months ago #87556 by dmcdona
Folks

2010 has been a difficult year for many. But it is encouraging that Irish Astronomy continues to go from strength to strength.

Over the last 12 months we have seen many folks on these boards extend their knowledge and techniques. This has resulted in many achievements, be they in scientific endeavour, public outreach, local club efforts and many more. All the more remarkable given the nature of the economic crisis added to the general weather conditions.

There was a very successful science week with many IFAS contributors giving freely of their time. Monasterevin now has a official observatory thanks to Michael O'Connell. There was a discovery of a new variable star, the annual (excellent) star parties plus a budding new astro artist (take a bow Declan M). There are also many more stories of personal advancement and betterment. Too many to mention in a short post. But many people here deserve to be very proud of their efforts.

The IFAS Astronomer of the Year award is given to a person or team who has excelled in some way and has captured the attention of his/her colleagues on these boards. The nominees for 2010 were an ecletic mix. Two nominees were highlighted as such because of their general contribution to Irish Astronomy over the years - giving guidance and advice freely, helping out clubs and so on.

However, there was one event that stood out above all others in 2010.

On Monday 4th October, 2010ik in UGC112 was confirmed by the IAU as a new supernova discovery. The supernova exhibited some unusual traits and is still subject to further scrutiny. It was the first supernova discovery made from Ireland and when the media got a hold of it, it became, rightly, a huge and positive story in the midst of all the other negativity going on.

Of course, the discoverer was Dave Grennan and this particular event was not only recognised by the wider community at the time, but has been recognised by Dave's colleagues as a major achievement. And as such, Dave Grennan is the IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010.

On a personal note, I can safely say that this discovery was only partly hard work and endeavour. On the night that Dave first saw the "new star", he was ready to pack it all in and go and watch a bit of telly before hitting the hay. And sure, many of us in that position would do exactly that. But it was Dave's persistence and no doubt, another hot cup of tea from Carol (his worthy observatory assistant) that got the better of him and he carried on a little bit longer into the night. And sure enough, the pay-off was handsome and well deserved.

Of course, whilst luck does play a large part in discoveries of this nature, there is a strong element of us generating our own luck. Or at least increasing our chances. And this is what Dave does exquisitely. Hard work consisting of hours of planning, hours of calibration, setup and analysis lead to dead ends time and time again. Many would baulk at that and give the task up as fruitless and thankless. But not Dave... Persistent hard work makes that little bit of luck more likely. Without the hard work, this discovery would not have been made and who knows, 2010ik may reveal information about these huge stellar explosions that we didn't know before.

This is yet another case of a very worthy recipient of annual award and is richly deserved. On behalf of all your friends and colleagues in IFAS, in the Irish astronomical community and beyond, congratulations Dave.

And from me personally, I knew that if anyone in Ireland was going to make a discovery of this magnitude (no pun), then it was going to be you. I'm absolutely delighted for you Dave and it is well deserved recognition.

Dave McDonald
IFAS Chair

p.s. Of course Dave, as Tom Boles said, you now have to discover a second to show that the first wasn't a fluke :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #87558 by lunartic_old
Many congratulations Dave, thoroughly deserved.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
13 years 9 months ago #87559 by michaeloconnell
Dave G,
This is a well deserved accolade for your efforts this year.
The supernova discovery and your series of excellent interviews with the media was fantastic publicity for amateur astronomy in this country.
You have done us pround Dave!
Many congratulations!
Michael.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
13 years 9 months ago #87561 by carlobeirnes
Well done mate nothing more to add from what the lads said from posts above.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
13 years 9 months ago #87564 by ayiomamitis
Dave,

Please accept my sincerest congrats as well. Certainly well-deserved!

I should also point out that the two Daves have also helped me in relation to odd items appearing in my work and in relation to their identification.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
13 years 9 months ago #87566 by Mike
Well deserved indeed Dave, looking forward to more discoveries from Irish soil in 2011.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds