K-Tec

IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010 - and the winner is...

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
13 years 9 months ago #87578 by DaveGrennan
I am deeply honoured and grateful to receive the IFAS astronomer of the year award for 2010. It is very humbling to receive an accolade like this especially from ones peers. I'm am particularly humbled when I consider the wonderful work done by so many IFAS astronomers in 2010. Not just in observational astronomy but also in public outreach which I feel is just as important as the astronomy itself.

There are so many IFAS astronomers who just as deserving of this. I could name a few names but I think that the name of IFAS chair Dave McDonald would be the first to spring to many minds. Dave's discovery of VSX J012426.9+084154 is such an astounding acheivement and I really don't think Dave got nearly enough credit from the media for this. Sadly that may well have been down to another gimp hogging the headlines a few weeks earlier! Eamonn Ansboro is also an individual who has been providing research level data to the astronomical community long before I knew what a telescope was.

The discovery of SN 2010ik was indeed very fortuitous. Some SNe hunters have searched over 10K galaxies and made zero discoveries. The fact that my first discovery was made after 2.6K observations is of course down to a lot of luck. I guess a bit of sheer stubborn single mindedness helps a lot. I am also lucky to have a decent setup which makes the hunt a lot more efficient.

My greatest hope is that these discoveries have shown everyone that this is possible if you are prepared to put in the work. Dave Mc will attest to the fact that their is a lot of graft involved, but if you start with a 'can do' attitude and a beleive that you will succeed then if becomes more of a when that if. So I certainly hope that what Dave and myself have done will encourage others to engage a strategy and persist with it. DaveMc's most recent discovery will attest to the fact that if you engage in any serious research project and stick to the plan you will almost inevitably make discoveries almost as a by product and maybe more importantly you will be providing valuable scientific data which is a great satisfaction in itself.

So I will finish by dedicating this years award to all the amateur astronomers on the island. You have been my inspiration and if some of my work has rubbed off on others then that is all the award I need. I have a feeling that 2011 will be another great year for amateur astronomy in this country and IFAS in particular.

Once again, I thank you all deeply for this award and in fact all the support I have received from IFAS over the years.

Now all we need is that incessant cloud to break so that we can all get back in business!
Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #87582 by stepryan
well done dave, well deserved.

More
13 years 9 months ago #87589 by Seanie_Morris
Well done Dave, a super ending to a fantastic year for you!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
13 years 9 months ago #87606 by StephenK
Well done Dave. Very well deserved :)

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes

More
13 years 9 months ago #87628 by Frank Ryan
Good man Dave!!!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
13 years 9 months ago #87696 by peterako
Well done Dave!!

What's in pipeline for 2011?? :)

Peter

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds