K-Tec

Bray Boys Solar Drawings feature on SDO NASA site today

More
13 years 7 months ago #88788 by Calibos
Oh, they have a much nicer school now, for the last 10 years in fact. Entrance a little bit further up the Vevay. New school is on ex Loreto convent land. Theres a Gaelscoil in the Old St.Cronans boys school building now. Must have been a long walk for Deirdre to the school for her sessions with the lads. All of a hundred yards or so :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #88789 by michaeloconnell
Great work Dee and all those in St Cronans.
Fantastic.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #88792 by johnomahony

Calibos wrote: Oh, they have a much nicer school now, for the last 10 years in fact. Entrance a little bit further up the Vevay. New school is on ex Loreto convent land. Theres a Gaelscoil in the Old St.Cronans boys school building now. Must have been a long walk for Deirdre to the school for her sessions with the lads. All of a hundred yards or so :D

Yeah, they have a lovely new building now-my nephew went to school there. The old building was stuck in the 1950's. It was considered a pretty rough school when I was there-things have really changed. Would love to do a public observing session there some day.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by johnomahony.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
13 years 6 months ago #88829 by DeirdreKelleghan
I feel lucky that this school has given me so much latitude to use creative approaches to teaching a little astronomy and also share my enthusiasm for space exploration via drawing.
As Keith pointed out the school is local, a few hundred yards from my house so that makes for easy very quick to organise outreach events. All the children’s observing sessions have been recorded in their own little naked eye drawings. Then one extension of this was to run that particular workshop which resulted in their solar drawings being on the NASA site. Thanks for all your positive comments and thanks Mike for passiing on my site details.
An exhibition of the work the children have done so far will be at the school before they break up for the summer.
Deirdre

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds