K-Tec

Galway Starparty 2012 U-turn

More
12 years 11 months ago #91046 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re: Possible IFAS convention
I'm just a (friendly) parasite who attends events organised by other people, so I hesitate to break in on this discussion. However I wonder if it would be possible to use this site to try to gauge the level of interest in some sort of all-Ireland event. Could there be a poll in which people click to express their interest in actually attending (a) an observing session, (b)a conference, or (c) a combination of conference and observing session (no doubt there are other possible formats also)?

Such a poll might give a useful indication of whether there is sufficient interest to justify the effort required, and of what type of event might be successful?

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #91047 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Possible IFAS convention
Frank - a bit of clarification...

The money would have been given to IFAS - Forfas were clear that they couldn't give it to a single club. But that of itslef is/was an administrative detail.

The way it would have worked is:

1. A club or clubs signed up to gather the data to "tender" for a part of the Forfas pot
2. "IFAS" would make the application
3. If successful, the money would be given to "IFAS"
4. "IFAS" would then use the money to support (i.e. pay for) whichever club(s) engaged in step 1

The club got the dosh to run their annual event, Forfas were still in compliance with the requirement to give money to "National Organisations" and IFAS got to assist the clubs in a very meaningful and direct way.

As regards "meeting the club(s) half-way" - I had spent significant time with Forfas (and feeding a parking meter) negotiating T&C's. I was aware of what needed to be done in terms of the application. But I knew nothing about what the club(s) wanted to do. So I (personally as IFAS Chair) was prepared and happy to get the data of the clubs, lash it into the application form and deliver it to Forfas. Job done, bish bash bosh, here's 4K for your star party.

Unfortunately, I think (based on public finances) the opportunity has now gone for the forseeable future.

I can certainly understand that even just getting the data together was no mean feat. But I was prepared to drive the application and get it over the line and take some of the heat of the club reps.

The fundamental issue with IFAS and the clubs and star parties is that partcipants are volunteers. There is no accountability and as such, if someone is "too busy" or is taken out of the loop by other committments, the slack has to be taken on by others or the project etc just dies. If we were all being paid for organising these events etc, it would be a totally different story.

By the way, don't read this is negative critisism. I have certainly had other massive commitments take over my spare time in recent months - so I know what its like. Its just a reflection of the reality.

I see I missed additional posts here so apologies if I'm repeating stuff....

More
12 years 11 months ago #91048 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Possible IFAS convention
Having read the additional posts I missed, here is a further response:

The main goal of IFAS is to offer support mechanisms to clubs. IFAS commiitte members are also club reps/members and typically wear two hats and have two jobs to do. So bear that in mind.

In terms of a national IFAS event, I like the idea. But, and it is a big but, there would need to be a clear commitmment from each club and strong engagement in terms of organisation (adminstrative stuff - getting quotes, sending emails, drawing up a publicity poster etc). If a lot of people play a small part, it would be easy. What makes it hard or increases the probability of failure is when the promises of help evaporate quicker than the ozone layer and all that's left is a hardcore group (2 or 3) of volunteers who get to carry the can.

If the event doesn't go ahead, they get critisised. If the event goes ahead and is rubbish (because of lack of support), they get critisised. Its a tough place to be when the promised support runs for the hills.

Also, IFAS, as a national org, can tap into funds that individual clubs cannot. e.g Forfas. IFAS could simply stump up 10K and let (ie pay) someone to run it. Well, we could have if we entered an application for the dosh. I don't mean to bleat on about that pot of money, but personally, I thought it was a golden opportunity that went to total waste.

That all said, IFAS does have some money - made on the back of volunteers by the way who even refused to take expenses (petrol money) for the work they did. There is no issue with any IFAS club requesting financial assistance. If we have the money and the cause is true, any club could expect a positive response.

So, how's about starting a rather large ball rolling?

I am prepared to pull my finger out and help co-ordinate an effort to run some kind of IFAS National Event in 2012.

But I ain't doing it alone. If there are three or four genuine applicants for assisting in the organising of the event, I will do all in my power to make it happen. Note to applicants - prepare for hard work and a significant time-sink. If you cannot commit 100% to seeing it through to the end, DO NOT APPLY. That said of course, if the funding is not forthcoming, it'll be dead in the water. But I can work the contacts I have - and I will work them hard to squeeze as much out of them as possible.

Dave

p.s I totally agree with Seanie - an IFAS event in 2012 is not crucial to the survival of amateur astronomy in Ireland. It would be nice and there seems to be some kind of hunger for it. But its not crucial...

More
12 years 11 months ago #91053 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re: Possible IFAS convention
Dave

You can include me in that group of genuine applicants. I'm not sure how much use I'll be being stuck "oop north" but I'll give it a go anyway. Might be able to rustle up a speaker or two. And there is a group of us up here who always try to get down to at least one event each year.

More
12 years 11 months ago #91058 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Possible IFAS convention
I do recall thinking when I read your announcment
regarding the funding "where was that money when we
needed it to run the WSP"
but then I came back to reality with bang as I realised
some of the biggest issues with us running the event
had nothing to do with money at all.
Obviously money was the most critical,
if we continued with the declining numbers & rising costs
we wpuld be left liable for big bills and in effect
pretty much ruin the club.
But even now if we were handed 10k cash in a brown bag
we'd still most likely say thanks but no thanks.
As you say dave, even when you do your utmost best
there will ALWAYS be whingers.
It's a thankless job and I do mean "job"
(well, that's what if felt like to me)
On the flipside, running the BSP with one or two speakers was
a breeze in comparison HUGELY because
we had (have) a very strong committee &
people are willing to give the effort.
But yet it was still a strain on the club and
although we could have had speakers this year
we made a group decision that the best move
for the club and its future was to run an honest to God
observing only starparty and my God the difference
it made. We will never look back.
At the end of the day, as you say,
these events are not vital to astronomy in Ireland,
they are nice events to attend.
I really hope there are sime people that are, aside
from willing to give you help, that they fully understand
the 'job' they are accepting.

Personally, I will never be involved running an event
the size of the old WSP.

As for an IFAS event, I've always wished I
had more time to give but I simply just cant
for a number of reasons.

Lads n lasses I wish ye all the best
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
12 years 11 months ago #91062 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Possible IFAS convention
It would be great to have another event or whatever sorts to go to, but like Frank says, its a job, and thankfully I've already got one of those and cant carry a second one.
Better to say I cant do it right now, then to promise help and leave you high and dry.
I havent even had a chance to go out observing the past few clear nights, thats how tied up I am. :bricks:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds