K-Tec

Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14

More
12 years 10 months ago #91618 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14
Wel done Dave! What are you gonna call it?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #91621 by dmolloy
keep this up ya will have enough to build a whole planet :laugh:

well done

DECLAN

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
12 years 10 months ago #91627 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14
Well done Dave it's about time.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
12 years 9 months ago #91718 by dmcdona
Thanks for all the kind words folks.

I guess that any confirmed asteroid discovery is ultimately going to be numbered. So for both asteroids, it was simply a waiting game. Luckily, given our recent weather, others managed to observe 2009FM14 and pushed it into the numbered list.

The only thing that worried me (and Dave Grennan) was that MPC rules were changed recently in such a way that there was possibilty we could lose our discovery credits (and therefore naming).

Anyhow, turns out both are now numbered and credited. So I have two asteroids that I get first shot at naming. I know what I'd like the first one to be called. But I'm not sure about the second one. I have some ideas but if anyone else out there has any suggestions, I'm all ears...

e.g.
CelticTiger
CelticTiger (1996 - circa 2007) was responsible for many a purchase of SCT's, Dobs, Apos and other atronomical paraphernalia in Ireland.

Dave

More
12 years 9 months ago #91719 by albertw

dmcdona wrote: The only thing that worried me (and Dave Grennan) was that MPC rules were changed recently in such a way that there was possibilty we could lose our discovery credits (and therefore naming).

Out of interest what were the changes? It would seem strange to remove credit for a discovery.

Congratulations by the way!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
12 years 9 months ago #91720 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14

albertw wrote: Out of interest what were the changes? It would seem strange to remove credit for a discovery.

When a discovery is made, the MPC run a routine to look at the new object in the context of previously submitted one night only observations (remember you need two nights for a discovery). Almost always a new object is linked with a previous 'One Night Stand'. Actually most often it is more than one. The rule change is that if the MPC find two earlier obervations in the same opposition by the same station code, discovery credit is awarded to that station, even if the observations were so far apart that they did not initially qualify for a discovery designation. A bit wrong imo since the early reporting station had no idea that the two nights were of the same object. Another fear is that your asteroid gets linked to a known object whose orbit is so loose that initially the MPC do not link the two but as more observations of the two objects arrive, the orbital solutions converge until a point comes where they are proved to be the same object. Point in question was my '3rd discovery' 2009 EN1 was initially thought to be a new object. After a couple of months the solution converged with 2003 SL431. Of course in this scenario the earlier designation gets the credit (rightly), So when this object got numbered and became (259516) 2003 SL431 the credit goes to the sloan sky survey.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds