K-Tec

Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14

More
12 years 9 months ago #91721 by dmcdona
This was from the MPC earlier in the year

"Henceforth, the Minor Planet Center will no longer give preferential treatment to objects observed on two separate nights and submitted properly linked by the discoverer. The MPC recommends that all unidentified objects be reported on a nightly basis. The MPC’s survey processing software, which operates principally on data sent from the large-scale NASA-funded surveys, will now be the only designation processing pipeline for observations arriving at the MPC. While this move will save the MPC staff considerable time in processing incoming batches, one consequence of this action will be a dramatic reduction in the number of discoveries assigned to so-called ”amateur” observing stations. During the past several years, these amateur discoveries were sometimes processed days before survey batches from the same dates, giving the illusion that the direct amateur contribution to discovery of main-belt minor planets was higher than it actually is. With the change in place it is expected that the number of amateur-station discoveries of minor planets will be reduced drastically."

I can't easily get my hands on the actual rules but the above paraphrases them. I understand that any "discoveries" prior to August 2010 (approx?) were "grandfathered" and the old rules applied.

I'm now joint 689th on the list of Minor Planet Discoverers... FWIW: www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/MPDiscsNum.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• astroado
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #91723 by astroado
Congratulations, fantastic news. :)

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #91724 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14
Many congrats Dave,
especially so when you consider the weather you're up against in this country !

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
12 years 9 months ago #91728 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14
Dave,

My congrats as well. It takes a very dedicated individual to withstand the frigid cold during winter to pursue such work.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
12 years 9 months ago #91951 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Re: Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14
Congrats Dave. Super effort

"... quit trying to upset and disturb Dr. Venkman..."

More
12 years 9 months ago #92037 by Donegal Skies
Replied by Donegal Skies on topic Re: Congrats to Dave McDonald (309914) 2009 FM14
I realise this prob a bit late but i haven't been on here in ages, i ave been fairly snowed under with emails and other website stuff.

I wanted to say deepest congratulations to you Dave. It must be so difficult for you guys given our climate but yet you continue to succeed and excel. Hats off. Top notch.

All the best,

Brendan

C8N/Omni XLT 150
CG5 GOTO Mount/CG4 Mount with Motor Drive
Self-Modified Canon Digital Rebel/Stock 18-55mm lens/Sigma 70-300mm APO Lens/Philips SPC 900nc
My Flickr Page
Donegal Skies

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds