Astronomy Ireland Nationwide Mars Watch 29th March

• GLIESE 581G
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #93067 by GLIESE 581G
Dublin Papal Cross Carpark, Phoenix Park March 29th, 8pm

is anybody going to this
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by GLIESE 581G.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #93069 by PaulWalsh
I am going in.

More
12 years 6 months ago #93070 by Graham
How much are they charging to look down the scopes these days??

I was at some watch last year and there was an announcement that those queuing to have a look had to have gotten a ticket from the table... was there a charge for that or were they just looking for email address??

I was just having a look but there was huge queues so didn't bother..

Graham

More
12 years 6 months ago #93074 by Nerro

Graham wrote: How much are they charging to look down the scopes these days??

I was at some watch last year and there was an announcement that those queuing to have a look had to have gotten a ticket from the table... was there a charge for that or were they just looking for email address??

I was just having a look but there was huge queues so didn't bother..

Graham

Ha ha.thats a good question Graham.i went to their event good few years back and they wanted a euro to have a look thru their scopes....even tho it was advertised as a free event.was a complete newbe at that stage and thought it was pritty normal as for example you are beeing charged and have to insert a coin to look thru scopes on observation sites when you are on holidays somewhere.Plus the size of the scope really impressed me...
As far as I heard they stopped practising such a thing due to rant on various forums etc.but you never know if there will be a huge crowd they might chance their arm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Graham

More
12 years 6 months ago #93078 by dmcdona
I thought I heard that instead of actively requesting money as had been the case in the past, that buckets were strategically placed to allow people to make an optional donation.

The best of luck to them but I'd say the IAS/SDAS event on Friday will be better - smaller group of people so you're bound to get a really good look. And definately no charge, optional dontation bucket or requests for an email address.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #93079 by PaulWalsh
I had heard the same thing that they charge to have a look, but I have also heard that this has been stopped. Either way I will find out tomorrow night. I was out with them on Saturday and I have to say they were nothing but helpful to me. My tripod was broken and I needed a couple of plastic parts to fix it and straight away one of the guys went into the back and came out with just what I was looking for and gave it to me.

I will also be going to the IAS/SDAS night in Sandymount and I will be bringing the whole family with me because I know what a good bunch of guys they are.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PaulWalsh.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds