K-Tec

Galway Star Party :: Saturday February 2nd 2013, Galway City

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #95938 by R Newman
"Ireland: The Final Frontier" is the theme for the 10th annual Galway Astronomy Festival which takes place on February 2nd

The greatest scientific undertakings and events of Mankind have long been solely associated with some of the world’s greatest nations and organisations but the minds behind some of these achievements can be found in some of the most unlikely places. The theme for this one day Celestial extravaganza is “Ireland: The Final Frontier of Science” with an emphasis is on Irish Academic and Amateur astronomers who are involved in cutting edge scientific research. Academic speakers like Andy Shearer involved with the Kepler mission and its search for habitable planets around other stars, Astrophysicist; Tom Ray on Making Stars and Planets and from UCD, Lorraine O’Hanlon with a FREE PUBLIC Talk on the Global Robotic Telescopes Intelligent Array (GLORIA) at 4pm, a network of small telescopes for research looking for Exoplanets among other things. Maybe there are opportunities for amateur astronomers in Ireland to join this network and produce amazing results.

Amateur astronomers include Irish Supernova hunter Dave Grennan and his quest for these stellar explosions, Dave Gradwell owner of one of Irelands most unique Solar observatories, Ronan Newman, one of the our most prolific Aurora hunters on how to catch the elusive Irish Aurora and from Dublin John Flannery who is so excellently versed in the history of astronomy, will provide the community with an answer to the question of what makes a “Great Comet” by preparing us for Comet Pan-stars in March and Comet ISON in November. Finally Sir Patrick Moore will not be forgotten, from Belfast; Terry Moseley knows some untold stories of Sir Patrick which he will tell us after dinner. There is no doubt that his talk will make the most famous amateur of recent times come alive.

Tickets for the event are available at the door from 9.15am, there will also be observing on two nights, information stands and as Bonus attendees will get a chance to visit the “state of the art” NUI Galway Observatory. For details of the Festival (including accommodation) see the GAC homepage at www.galwayastronomyclub.ie or phone 0868434003. We look forward to seeing you, hopefully under clear skies

Launch by Professor Michael Redfern

(Morning Session)

Dave Grennan: “Hunting Extra-Galactic Supernovae from Ireland”
www.webtreatz.com

Tom Ray: (Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies) “Making Stars and Planets: The First Three Billion Years”John Flannery: (South Dublin AS) “What makes a Great Comet?”

Dave Gradwell: “OSCAR: A Unique Irish Solar Observatory”
www.davegradwell.com

Ronan Newman: (Galway Astronomy Club) Optional Lunchtime Workshop: “Celestial Light: Catching the elusive Aurora Borealis from Ireland” www.facebook.com/CelestialLightIrishAuroraHuntersHomepage

(Afternoon Session)

Dr. Andrew Shearer (President of the Centre for Astronomy, NUI Galway) "Kepler: The Search for Habitable Planets"Prof.

John Flannery: (South Dublin AS) “What makes a Great Comet?”

Professor Lorraine O’Hanlon (UCD): "The Gloria Project: The Future of Virtual E-science Telescopes” gloria-project.eu/en/

Patrick Moore themed dinner and small exhibition

Short film on lighter side of Patrick Moore

Terry Moseley (IAA): Untold Stories of Sir Patrick Moore FRAS

Entry only €20

Hope to see you there, full information along with details of our very busy club schedule is available at www.galwayastronomyclub.ie

Thanks For Reading

Ronan Newman
Secretary
Galway Astronomy Club
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by R Newman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 9 months ago #96150 by R Newman
For anyone wishing to attend our Asronomy Festival on February 2nd can I ask ye not to leave your booking too late as the Galway Motor Rally takes place the same weekend, there is lots of events taking pace here every weekend..Book Now..Accomafation guide shortly available from our website

Ronan Newman
Secretary
www.galwayastronomyclub.ie

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 9 months ago #96300 by R Newman
Hi

Just a qick query for anyone travelling to Galway with their telescopes on Feb 1,2. In previous years we used Brigits Garden, about 12 miles from Galway, some suggestions were made that we move closer to town but a non private venue which wold concern me.

Would people here be happay to return to the Gardens??

It secure and very dark, Moonrise just after 1am unfortunately, blame hotel we use! but we might get a few hours if clear

Ronan Newman

More
11 years 9 months ago #96322 by TrevorDurity
Good stuff Ronan. That was a great spot. Was there with ye, Michael and Dave with his giant Obsession scope a few years ago. Good fun even if the weather didn't play ball that year. Should still have a few hours of observing if clear.
Trevor

More
11 years 9 months ago #96336 by daveg
My website is www.davegradwell.com and my blog is www.surfingthesun.blogspot.com and not as stated above

D Gradwell

More
11 years 9 months ago #96347 by markrgriffin
Hi, I'm hoping to come along on the 2nd and bring my C8. Just not sure from the info above if I need to book for the talks. There doesn't seem to be any option to book on www.galwayastronomyclub.ie Am I missing something?

Hope to meet some of you there and put faces to names

Thanks,
Mark

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds