K-Tec

Galway Star Party :: Saturday February 2nd 2013, Galway City

More
11 years 9 months ago #96349 by dmcdona
Mark - you're not missing anything - just turn up and pay at the door.

Hopefully see you there!
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: markrgriffin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #96353 by markrgriffin
Thanks for the quick reply Dave. Looking forward to it

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #96365 by R Newman
Some Information Stands for the Galway Astrofest include

1 Deirdre Kelleghan Solar Mosiac's
2 KTEC Telescope Wit an asortment of Dobsonian Telescopes)
3 Celestial light - Aurora Homepage
4 Clonkill Observatory
5 Irish Variable Stars Observers Group+ images of OZ Solar Eclipse 2012
6 Knigsland Observatory
7 NUIG Astrosoc (TBC)

Anyone who would like a table whether selling or just wanting to share info please let me Know.

The Final talk of the days session will be Free by Professor Loarraine Hanlon entitled “The GLORIA Project: The Future of Virtual Telescopes”

Objective: GLORIA is an innovative citizen-science network of robotic telescopes, which will give free access and research to a virtual community via the Internet. The GLORIA partners will offer access to a growing collection of robotic telescopes via a Web 2.0 environment - 17 telescopes on 4 continents by the project s end.

Ronan Newman
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by R Newman.

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 9 months ago #96461 by R Newman
Hi

I have slghtly changed the timetable of speakers and abstract as you can see in the first post.

I will also be displaying some old letters, paper clippings, pictures and quotes of Patrick Moore and his Irish Links as part of a themed evening in his honour.

Ronan Newman
www.galwayastronomyclub.ie

See our Galway accomadation guide at the bottom of our homepage

More
11 years 9 months ago #96465 by cathalferris
Unfortunately I can't get the time off work to attend as I'm working evenings over weekends in my current job.
:(
I was hoping that I could go this year, but it's not to be.

I hope there is better weather to allow some stargazing this year!
Good luck with it!

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #96541 by R Newman
The Final talk of our Festival will be from Terry Moseley: "Sir Patrick Moore: Memories and Untold Stories”

For anyone coming to Galway they will recall the fantastic meal we get every year by the staff at the Westwood Hotel, this year will be no different but at only €30 is the best bargain in town including 7 talks for €20.

Terry Moseley has been active in amateur astronomy for over 40 years, having concentrated his observing on Jupiter, Saturn, meteors and variable stars. He has served the maximum of three spells of 3 years each as President of the Irish Astronomical Association (IAA), the first president of the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies (IFAS) and has appeared as guest astronomer on many radio and TV programmes including on the BBC “Sky at Night”

Sir Patrick Moore probably introduced more people to astronomy than any other person on this side of the Atlantic. In his 4-year tenure as Director of the then newly opened Armagh Planetarium from 1967 to 1971 he revitalised amateur astronomy in Ireland. Perhaps his greatest legacy, apart from the Planetarium itself, was his campaign to save and restore the then rotting remains of the great 72" Leviathan Telescope at Birr Castle.

Terry was incredibly lucky to be living in Armagh, just starting as an amateur stargazer, when he went there to launch the newly announced Planetarium, and became the best of friends with Patrick Moore through their love of the subject.  When Patrick Moore went back to England, they kept in regular touch, and Terry stayed with him at his home in Selsey more times than he can remember.

He was always an outspoken and controversial figure, and described his own politics as 'somewhat to the right of Attila the Hun'. But he was also an incredibly multitalented and generous man, with an amazing sense of humour, full of practical jokes, and always getting into scrapes of one sort or another. Terry had the great privilege of sharing some exciting, hilarious, and just odd experiences with him, as well as some unforgettable astronomical observations together. In this talk he will present a picture of this amazing man behind the TV screen.

Hope to see you there

Some Information Stands for the Galway Astrofest include

1 Deirdre Kelleghan Solar Mosiac's
2 KTEC Telescopes
3 Celestial light - Aurora Homepage
4 Clonkill Observatory
5 Irish Variable Stars Observers Group
6 Kingsland Observatory
7 NUIG Astrosoc (TBC)

Anyone who would like a table whether selling or just wanting to share information please let us know.

Ronan Newman
www.galwayastronomyclub.ie
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by R Newman.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds