K-Tec

Blue Moon

More
17 years 9 months ago #38860 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Blue Moon

I think Dave meant June 2007 not June 2006, this would tie up nicely with your chart.

See that's what happens when I actually listen to him. Astronomer of the year 2006 (or 2007?) indeed :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 9 months ago #38862 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Blue Moon
:lol:

More
17 years 9 months ago #38878 by Silversurfer
Replied by Silversurfer on topic Re: Blue Moon
Dave,
You'd want to be careful there, or you may get plutoed :wink: .

Martin

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

More
17 years 9 months ago #38918 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Blue Moon
There are two Full Moons in June this year. My copy of the Astronomical Almanac for 2007 gives the two as June 01d 01h 04m and June 30d 13h 49m.

It's a bit of an odd one though because technically the Moon is taken as Full at such and such a time UT. By correcting it to time in the Continental US, space.com are saying that the instant of Full Moon is at a particular time for them -- it can be both right and wrong depending on which side of the fence you want to stand :-) Astronomically speaking however, we can say space.com are wrong.

I previously wrote about Blue Moons (well, a short piece), in Sky-High 1999 when that year there were two months with two Full Moons (January and March -- there was no Full Moon in February). The next instance of a year with two months of two Full Moon's is 2018. The phenomenon is not exclusive to Full Moons ... we have two Last Quarter Moons in December 2007 as well!

The reason is rooted of course in the fact that the Moon's synodic period is less than a calendar month so the date of a lunar phase slowly slides backwards through the months. Blue Moon months occur every 2.6 years on average.

All the best,

John

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 9 months ago #38921 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Blue Moon
John - I thought Space.com was a bit dodgy but I thought I'd better leave that to the expert!

Thanks for the clarification - see you in Galway.

Dave

More
17 years 9 months ago #38922 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Blue Moon
Hi Dave,

Congrats on the Irish Astronomer of the Year 2006 award!

I was just looking back at my notes and the second Full Moon of January 1999 was a total lunar eclipse as well as being a Blue Moon! Amazingly, the next occasion of a year with two months of two Full Moons also has a Blue Moon lunar eclipse (the second Full Moon of January 2018). That eclipse will not be visible from Ireland however.

Talk to you in Galway at the end of the month.

John

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds