Moon experiment

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #14140 by Bill_H
Moon experiment was created by Bill_H
I experimented with the moon and my FinePix S7000 early this morning. I think it's called afocal(?). Anyway, I held the S7000 to the 32mm eyepiece on the LX90, focused and clicked. Forgot to take details of the exposure etc, I did note the camera was set at 1 megapix when I had intended to set at 12 megapix. Not to worry :oops: My main difficulty was getting the moon centred in the frame. The camera was handheld. All-in-all I'm quite pleased.

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/files/1122290993-Moon.jpg

Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #14142 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Moon experiment
Bill,

That is a very good effort and, yes, it is afocal projection that you used. Here is my effort (1000x1000 pixels) from a few days ago when the moon was full: www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=703 ... the moon is so low right now along the ecliptic that very high quality photos are indeed difficult.

My photo was taken with an AP160 refractor, Losmandy G11 GEM and a Canon EOS 300d (prime focus method).

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 1 month ago #14144 by shanemcd
Replied by shanemcd on topic Re: Moon experiment
Quite an interesting explanation of afocal projection available at www.saao.ac.za/~wpk/exposure.html , if anyone needs more info.

Good Shot Bill ... Tried it once with an old Olympus, must try again with the S7000 !

Shane

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #14145 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Moon experiment

Here is my effort (1000x1000 pixels) from a few days ago when the moon was full: www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=703 ... the moon is so low right now along the ecliptic that very high quality photos are indeed difficult.
Anthony.

Hi Anthony, I've a way to go to match that :lol:
that must be why I had difficulty imaging the moon. I noticed when viewing through the eyepiece it was more like looking at a reflection of the moon in water. The same as I tried to image through the DSI-C. It made focusing through it extremely dificult. I may bore everyone with my mediocre shots and post them shortly. I'm trying to identify the craters at the moment, but I'm pretty hopeless at that as well :lol:
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 1 month ago #14146 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Moon experiment
Great shot Bill,

Especially having the Moon so low, good resolution.

It has a wonderful surreal effect!

Anthony, an amazing detailed shot, alot to look out. I've checked my Moon atlas. There is so much detail on the limb compared to the atlas I am using.

Eamonn A

More
19 years 1 month ago #14147 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Moon experiment
Hi Bill,

The moon right now is at a very frustrating stage ... it is not sufficiently high to allow enjoyable viewing and productive imaging and at the same time it is making a mess of the local skies if and when we try and fall back to something else (DSO work).

As for craters, mare, montes etc, I have a pretty good handle on most features of the moon by shear memory. If you need help, please send me an email with your photo and a set of markers on the photo for identification and I will get back to you immediately.

You can send the photo to anthony@perseus.gr ...

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds