K-Tec

NGC6888 and Veil Nebula

More
19 years 1 month ago #15011 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: NGC6888 and Veil Nebula
They are the bis Dave! :P

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #15014 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: NGC6888 and Veil Nebula
Hi Dave - nice images you have there. Might I be so bold as to offer some feedback?

Your mount is tracking very well for 120 sec unguided exposures - it would be great to have them guided and as you say, get that extra nebulosity.

As far as the images go, the crescent doesn't suffer any perceptible star elongation but the veil does.

The colours are good - did you take and subtract darks? If you didn't then the setup you have has the making of something special. With dark subtraction these would be trully excellent images.

One other concern you might check out is that there appears to be some vignetting. I only checked the crescent and at first, I thought it was a gradient but on closer inspection (cranking up the levels), I'd say it was vignetting. Flat frames will help get rid of this or at least minimise post-processing.

All in all Dave these are good images and good colours. But I know that they could be stunning with some simple hardware tweaking and image reduction. Hopefully, you won't do this because then I fear the bar will be raised a good bit higher :D

Additionally, I truly hope Santa gives you a miss this year - if you get your hands on those filters, there'll be no catching you up :wink:

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 1 month ago #15032 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: NGC6888 and Veil Nebula
Absolutely stunning images Dave G. Those nebula will continue to be elusive to me until I can get my hnds on a reducer.
Nice work.
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 1 month ago #15039 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: NGC6888 and Veil Nebula
Great images there Dave,
you're definitely getting your moneys worth out of the equipment.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds