Digital EOS ... external battery supply for 5 euro

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15278 by ayiomamitis
Dear Friends,

Here is a link that was forwarded to me by a local friend describing the construction of an interface for an external power source: astronomie.rajiva.de/astronomie/canon/power.htm .... and all for five euro.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15281 by dave_lillis
Very interesting, I never got around to making one, I'm setting up the observatory at the moment and its taking all my free time.

My only question is where do you get the casing for the camera battery replacement.??? would you make one out of wood ???
The electronics are elementary and easily found.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15283 by ayiomamitis
Dave,

I think the rationale is to use an existing Canon EOS BP-511 battery. I am trying to locate a "dead one" locally for the same purpose.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15292 by dave_lillis
I was thinking that, but I dont think I'd easily find a dead one.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15296 by John OBrien
This looks like a cheap mod though I'd be a bit wary of putting a DIY power supply into a sensitive electronic device and an expensive one at that. But still, I'm tempted by this...

If your looking for a cheap Canon battery to use for this try Ebay. I've seen deals on eBay for BP-511 batteries for around 10 euro.

The page refers to using a 9-33 DC power supply. I suppose this means a 9.33 volt DC and not a range of 9 to 33 volt power supply... might need to have this clarified.

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15304 by Jed Glover

This looks like a cheap mod though I'd be a bit wary of putting a DIY power supply into a sensitive electronic device and an expensive one at that. But still, I'm tempted by this...

If your looking for a cheap Canon battery to use for this try Ebay. I've seen deals on eBay for BP-511 batteries for around 10 euro.

The page refers to using a 9-33 DC power supply. I suppose this means a 9.33 volt DC and not a range of 9 to 33 volt power supply... might need to have this clarified.

The image of the built circuit seems to have two regulators in it. The LM317 is probably a ~4volt regulator that has an input range of 9-33 volts. If you were building one of course you would check the regulators out properly, but 9-33 volts does not seem to be an unresonable work range imho.

Later,

Jed.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds