K-Tec

Donegal astro landscape with blobs

More
18 years 10 months ago #17266 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Donegal astro landscape with blobs
Oh my God- Bart's going to have you hung, drawn and quartered Aidan for the size of that image! :lol:

But that will after he is perplexed by the wonderful imagery in that cool photo! Nice shot! 8)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17268 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Donegal astro landscape with blobs

Oh my God- Bart's going to have you hung, drawn and quartered Aidan for the size of that image! :lol:

Nah, I think he's letting him away with it because he's new.... :)

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #17290 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Donegal astro landscape with blobs
Hi Aidan Just another couple of comments abouy resizing the image. It looks like you have sized the image upwards from a smaller size.

The gradient of colour looks blocky in your image. It shouldnt be like this particularly with a nikon D70. You should never resize a photo upwards because in order to do that you the software has to interpolate the extra pixels it needs, i.e. it guesses what the new pixel value should be based on the values of the pixels surrounding it. If you absolutely *must* resize upwards, use photoshop Image->resize and select the bicubic resampling option. I've always found that to be the best.

For publishing photos on the web i suggest you resize to 640x480 or 800x 600 as these will fit on most people monitors. Always resize down from the original image, never from an already resized image. When I publish photos here I generally post a 640x 480 region image and post a link to a higher res image. The problem with such a big image like yours is that it is so much bigger than the screen that you just cant appreciate the image as a whole.

Hope some of this helps.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #17293 by aidan365
Replied by aidan365 on topic Donegal Photo
Hi all,

Many thanks for all the comments. Still alive despite my misdemeanour. Resized image (properly?) below. Ye all wont have to buy 40" monitors! Will work in photoshop on the original as suggested.

Regards

Aidan

More
18 years 10 months ago #17295 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Donegal astro landscape with blobs
On my monitor it looks like there are loads of jpg artifacts in the image, which could be a result of over-compression or bad re-sizing.

If you have Photoshop, try this;

- Open the original JPG
- Click Image / Image Size...
- Change 'Height' to 640 (don't click OK yet)
- Select 'Bicubic Sharper' from the dropdown at the bottom (next to 'resample image')
- Click OK

Now, save it as a JPG;

- File / Save for Web...
- On the 'Preset' box on the right, there's a small arrow, click that and you'll get a dropdown menu
- Select 'Optimize to File Size'
- For 'Desired File Size', enter 150k (seem reasonable for a 640 high JPG?)
- Click 'Save' on the top right.

Note: Make sure you keep a copy of your out-of-the-camera original!

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds