Upgrading Astrophotography Camera

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17522 by Keith g
Upgrading Astrophotography Camera was created by Keith g
Hi all, Can any of you help me on this? As you know I have the Canon 300D for astrophotography, and I'm thinking of upgrading to either a 350D or a 20D/20Da.

Now, I've done some research already, but what i'm pointing at is it really worth the transition to a more costly camera if the noise output with any of these camera's is no better than the 300D? I see the 350D is simply a camera with more pixels (8.2 vrs 6.3) but that seems just it. Body only is about Euro950 here in Ireland. It's just a replacement for the 300D, which is now no longer available!

So that takes me to the 20D (Euro1800) and the 20Da (Euro2300 from the UK!!), serious money

I've actually read on other forums that noise is actually WORSE for both of these compared to the 300/350D.

Is this true?, I've seen some 20Da shots already, and honestly can see my divorce papers if I get this, the noise in those shots is poor compared to my 300.
Does anybody have the 350D? Mmmm ... evry confused

Thanks, Keith.. :?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17523 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
I saw one at the WSP, its abit smaller and lighter, and has no chrome colour on it, its all black, its got a bigger chip, that hand grip is also smaller and less chunkier.
Thats all I've experianced of it. :)

I personally wouldn't bother upgrading going just for the bigger chip.
If you try and use a bigger chip at prime focus of your average SCT, you will experience more vignetting as you're venturing more towards the edge of the field of view where the image quality is not the best, of course you can always crop it out anyway.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #17524 by eclipsedan
Replied by eclipsedan on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
I will say that the 350D and 20D are certainly better in the noise department than the 300D (hands on experience). However I don't personally see how it would be enough to consider an upgrade.

I know the 20Da is supposedly optimised for astrophotography but I've no experience of it.

(If you are going to upgrade [and I wouldn't unless the 20Da is of a different class] then I suggest you don't buy in Ireland but instead use somewhere like technikdirekt.de - they're reliable and you'll have a perfect EU warranty if things go wrong)

Good luck!

More
18 years 10 months ago #17525 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
Keith, if the reports are that the 20D/20DA are no better than the 300D, then I'd keep the 2K and the marriage :D Assuming the marriage is important of course... :wink:

And Dave L's point is worth considering very seriously. Try and find out if vignetting would become a serious issue with the bigger chips - if so, you'll need to buy the camera and a new scope.

Alternatively, why not get a good second hand 3" apo and a DSI. That's bound to be less than 1800 quid... And you'll get lovely wide field shots as well as an autoguider. But then you'll need a very good explanation strategy...

Cheers

Dave

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17526 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

But then you'll need a very good explanation strategy...

She can already see it coming a mile off!!!! :D :D :D
Well, I'll keep looking,

Eclipse Dan, do you have any shots with the 350D?
Thanks for your help,
Keith..

More
18 years 10 months ago #17528 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
Typical wife then eh? :roll: The olfactory capabilities of a bloodhound...

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds