K-Tec

Upgrading Astrophotography Camera

More
18 years 10 months ago #17646 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
Dave,

I concur with you. Because we are at a low altitude our seeing in Ireland in real time is between 2 to 4 secs and thats on reasonable seeing conditions. Of course there will be exceptions. I know this because I have a DIMM programme for testing seeing conditions with a 300mm f2.8 lens and a camera that has 7.4 micron square pixels. It's impossible to achieve 1 sec res. unless you are snapping frequently. Of course this is a different matter when using dynamic motion, one can obtain sub arc sec accuracy, but then you have to process it.

Eamonn A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17647 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: post

Anthony once again congratulations on your 300D Star Clusters and Dark Nebulae photograph on page 124 of the same issue.

Hi Deirdre,

A big thanks! Your comment about the photo is most appropriate given our discussion here about (widefield) FOV and imaging.

I am quite honored to have a full page photo in the gallery section of S&T and which no words can describe. The "only" way to superceed that would be with a cover photo for the same magazine and I hope to do some magic when the AP1200GTO arrives (I have confirmed that I will be notified very shortly when they start the notification process).

Anthony.

PS. Check out the gallery section again for the Jan/2006 when it arrives. :wink:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17649 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Image size Canon 300D: 22.7 x 15.1mm
Image size Canon 350D: 22.2 x 14.8mm

So the 350D sensor is smaller....but I do a lot of widefield stuff, since it has a slightly better resolution, I wonder if it will make any overall difference?

P.S. Anthony, Very well done on your shot in S&T!!!!!!!
Keith.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17653 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
Keith - I'd be surprised if an increase in resolution for the 350D would be noticeable. For widefield images, I'd say that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Exposure length, image reduction (darks & flats) and processing skills (eg gradient removal) would be more significant in producing a good image than the difference in resolution between the 300 and 350...

Dave

More
18 years 10 months ago #17655 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:

Image size Canon 300D: 22.7 x 15.1mm
Image size Canon 350D: 22.2 x 14.8mm

So the 350D sensor is smaller....but I do a lot of widefield stuff, since it has a slightly better resolution, I wonder if it will make any overall difference?

Keith,

ONLY if you have the (better) seeing to support and justify the smaller pixel. Otherwise, it is a "bonus" which is never exploited to its fullest (if at all).

P.S. Anthony, Very well done on your shot in S&T!!!!!!!

Thank you! :D

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 10 months ago #17656 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera

Exposure length, image reduction (darks & flats) and processing skills (eg gradient removal) would be more significant in producing a good image than the difference in resolution between the 300 and 350.

Dave, you hit the nail square on the head with your summary above! Very wise and accurate words.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds