K-Tec

Upgrading Astrophotography Camera

More
18 years 10 months ago #17657 by Jed Glover
Replied by Jed Glover on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
In a general discussion on the pros and cons the 350d does not suffer from the significant amp glow that the 300d has.

Later,

Jed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17662 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
Has an yone taken a dark frame using the 350, it would be interesting to see the missing amp glow, all the same photoshop does an easy job of removing it.
This seems to be the real advantage of the 350.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #17665 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
I thought you guys were already well aware of the firmware upgrade for the 300d. As well as mirror lockup it also gives you ISO3200 too, and all without unscrewing the camera!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #17666 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera

Has an yone taken a dark frame using the 350, it would be interesting to see the missing amp glow, all the same photoshop does an easy job of removing it.
This seems to be the real advantage of the 350.

Dave,

Even with my EOS 300d, it is not a real issue. Aside from its easy removal via the use of one or more dark frames (a good practice anyway!), it only becomes noticeable with ISO 800+ and 5+ minute exposures (at least for me).

Anyway, it is a non-issue since it can be handled easily and most effectively.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 10 months ago #17680 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Upgrading Astrophotography Camera
Hi folks,

Out of interest do people here mainly use their cameras for Astrophotography or regular photography?

I almost exclusively use mine for regular photography, so the extra 2 megapixels of the 350 over the 300 is a big advantage. By choosing the right aperture and speed, it can get really fine resolution even with the kit lens[1], plus when I send images off to get printed, I can crop out smaller portions of the image and still get sharp 12x8's. So sensor size doesnt bother me. Though after reading the comments here I now understand why people may prefer the 300D for astronomical use.

I'm just curious to see if people here have these cameras mainly on the back of scopes.

Best Wishes,
~Al

[1] eg for the stock 18-55 lens that you get with the 300&350D, you are best using at f8 - f11. Sample images and the review of the lens are www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/18-55b.html
I havent noticed such an obvious a degradation with a fully open apperture, but it is noticable. Then again it is the kit zoom lens...

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17687 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

I thought you guys were already well aware of the firmware upgrade for the 300d. As well as mirror lockup it also gives you ISO3200 too, and all without unscrewing the camera!!

Dave, I was aware of this, but could you provide a link so I could dwonload it? Is the ISO 3200 any good at short exposures of say 1 minute?

Thanks, Keith..

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds