Another

• whyulittle
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #19477 by whyulittle
Another was created by whyulittle
'what the hell was that' thread from myself.

Was out getting some shots of the Moon and Venus this evening, when I noticed a bright light on the northwest horizon. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention at first, as that area is normally blocked to me at my home location. But then it dawned on me that it looked very bright for something so low down, and in the still bright part of the sky. So while I was looking at it, it started to 'rise' very quickly. I then thought it was a helicopter with it's big front search light on coming towards me. So I stuck the camera on it, and got about three shots of it before it just disappeared!!

There was a little bit of cloud hugging the horizon, and it seemed to be just sitting on top of that when I first spotted it. I did a check for Iridium flares on Heavens above, but there was nothing at that time of the evening.

Anyone any ideas?

Photos here , here and here . Exposure times of 31, 12 and 65 seconds respectively starting at 18:46.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• whyulittle
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #19479 by whyulittle
Replied by whyulittle on topic Re: Another
By the way, I realise the obvious answer is a satellite, but I've never seen one so bright and coming from so low in the sky before.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19481 by shanemcd
Replied by shanemcd on topic Re: Another
On this picture, there is another small line to the left of the wooden post.
See the image www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=70275989&size=o and in the indentation of the post there is a small line , similar about 2-3mm in length.

I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think its a satellite, I zoomed in on the image and the line is not 100% straight, so I think it is an aircraft - possibly its landing or taxi lights had been accidentally switched on during flight (possibly for test, or possibly not turned off after take-off). :?:

More
18 years 9 months ago #19494 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Another
First of all, what exposure time are those shots?

Second, as it was close to the horizon, it may have been a plane (or series of planes due to the other lines Shane mentioned), but you may not ave seen its strobe due to the brightness of those landing lights (left on), or low haze in the air.

It is a mystery whyulittle, but have a look out again around sunset (say, 4:30?) and see if you can see any contrails and/or planes following a similar path.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• whyulittle
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #19497 by whyulittle
Replied by whyulittle on topic Re: Another
Exposure times of 31, 12 and 65 seconds respectively starting at 18:46 Seanie ;)

A plane would be the logical explanation. As I said, I thought it looked like a helicopter at first, but there was no noise and I never saw the normal lights from a plane continue on in its place when it disappeared. Plus you would hardly ever see any planes coming down from the northwest over Athlone.

The other little line by the gate post is just a star trail. If you look along the top of the photo there are another couple.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19503 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Another
To me it looks like a satellite, although its position and given the brightness of the sky, it must have been a brilliant sight.
I've taken images of the ISS and the trail does appear to arc somewhat.
It doesn't look like a plane, no blinking lights..

To be honest, it could be anything. :?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds