Focal Reducers

More
18 years 7 months ago #22542 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:

Anymore questions of the technical sort shall now be pased on to Seanie :P

Now that you have been trained up! :twisted:

I got to get one first to know not how to use it! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22548 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Focal Reducers
The Meade & Celestron focal reducers are threaded for use on a SCT. This fitting is bigger than a 2" focuser would allow. With the right adapters, it could fit into a 2" focuser. You will need two adapters:

1)
This adapter will be threaded on one end to fit into the SCT threaded adapter and on the other end have a 2" barrel so that it can fit into a 2" focuser

2)
Oneend must be able to accept 2" eyepieces and the other end to screw onto the focal reducer.

FWIW, I have these adapters at home and use the focal reducer in this manner on my SCT. It's much easier just to plonk the focal reducer into the diagonal rather than removing the diagonal, screwing on the focal reducer and then screwing on the diagonal again. If I think of it, I'll post a photo later of the adapters.

Wherther this would work with a refractor, I don't know. FOr it to fit into a 1.25" focuser, you'll need two more adapters: one for each end.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22549 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Focal Reducers
Even if you can get the reducer on the refractor, will you be able to reach focus, is their enough travel in the focuser??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 7 months ago #22550 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Focal Reducers

Even if you can get the reducer on the refractor, will you be able to reach focus, is their enough travel in the focuser??

Sorry, yea, that's the point I meant to explain a bit better in the last piece of my post. The question Dave L has posted here is a valid one. SCTs usually have a much greater range of focus than other telescopes.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds