Lord Rosse and a blue image

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22586 by dmcdona
Lord Rosse and a blue image was created by dmcdona
Ok folks - here are the last two images from Chez Celbridge in 2005. I swear...

I've not posted these before and was pleasantly surprised over Xmas to rediscover them in my archives :D

Enjoy!

Cheers

Dave McD

NGC 7331
Discovered by William Herschel in 1784, NGC 7331 is one of the brighter galaxies which is not included in Messier's catalog. It exposes a fine spiral structure despite its small inclination from the edge-on position. A companions galaxy is visible in the image.

NGC 7331 was among the earliest recognized spiral galaxies, and listed by Lord Rosse in his list of 14 "spiral or curvilinear nebulae" discovered before 1850.

NGC 7331 Image

NGC 2194
This open cluster is located in Eastern part of Orion about 7° NE of Betelgeuse.NGC 2194 has a distance of 1600 pc in the direction of the constellation Orion. Most stars of the cluster have a slightly blue color, but there are also a lot of bright and yellow stars. They are evolved, i.e. they already left the usual stage of hydrogen burning in the core. This is a hint for the relativ old age of the cluster. Indeed NGC 2194 is with 109 years about ten times older than the cluster M 50, and so belongs to the unusual population of old Open Clusters in our Galaxy.

NGC 2194 Image

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22588 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lord Rosse and a blue image
Love 7331 Dave. Is that a (companion) galaxy I see to its left? POST EDIT - SCRATCH THAT!

Are you able to get 2194 any sharper? Sorry to be a tad critical, but I ask because it actually looks like, lower left, that there's a very small galaxy. But because the stars are slightly blurred, I don't know if its just a merger of a couple of tiny stars.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22589 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Lord Rosse and a blue image
I new the title would get you interested... :wink:

Yep - that's one of a few companions to this galaxy. There's also a background galaxy. Unfortunately, I only captured one... Buts its sweet.

I can't be sure, but there could be another in the very top left corner.

Cheers

Dave

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22590 by dmcdona
I see what you're looking at. I think its just a few stars aligned so they look like a galaxy - but I could be wrong... I checked the original images and there's nothing jump out at me.

As a cluster, I think it would be unusual for a background galaxy to be in there - the cluster stars would presumably swamp it...

Whadda ya mean, blurred? :wink:

More
18 years 7 months ago #22591 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Lord Rosse and a blue image
Two very nice targets Dave which i visit quite alot myself. Lovely images! I like the edge on galaxy best!

Any chance you would image NGC1999 in Orion?..its a personal favourte nebula of mine.

Cant wait to see more of your images!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22592 by dmcdona
Thanks Martin - the spiral is indeed really nice. Its a lovely size for my FOV. I've seen a couple of colour images recently that really do it far more justice than I could. The details is spectacular.

I'd hope one day to get to that level.

And one SN was discovered in it in the 1950's :D

NGC1999 - I'll put it on my to-do list - the reflection nebula s nice but I'd say its tricky enough.

The next set of images will be those I've taken as part of the pilot SN search. Watch this space...

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds