K-Tec

Lord Rosse and a blue image

More
18 years 7 months ago #22593 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Lord Rosse and a blue image
Thanks for the SN history Dave..i never knew that. Good luck with the SN hunt..you seem like your in full swing now?

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22595 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Lord Rosse and a blue image
Whenever the sky clears... :cry: I'm just imaging a pilot target list of 10 galaxies to fine tune the process. I'm hoping to open it up to participants in the next few weeks - just need to get a website sorted and all the functionality. Its a bit of a headache but I'll get there!

Cheers again

Dave

More
18 years 7 months ago #22598 by Skylord
Replied by Skylord on topic Re: Lord Rosse and a blue image

I've not posted these before and was pleasantly surprised over Xmas to rediscover them in my archives.

Dave,

You've captured two galaxies and two non-galaxies (will explain!) in this interesting 7331 image:
7331 itself.
Spiral 7335 (the obvious one to the lower left and the brightest of four genuine companions).
The non-galaxy 7327 (the lower of the two 'stars' off the top right of the nucleus of 7331) "discovered" by Tempel which Dreyer added to the NGC but modern observations confirm it is just a star, Tempel probably fooled by poor optical resolution.
The non-galaxy 7326 (the blob off to the right of the lower nucleus tip - same distance out as 7335), which fooled Lord Rosse in 1874. In fact, it's just a close 15th mag double star.

A wider FOV would have shown more genuine and spurious galaxies but I won't go into that as it would take too long.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22600 by dmcdona
Skylord (why does that sound cheesey when I type it? :D )

that's really good of you to take the time and describe the image. Appreciate it. I couldn't figure out where 7326 was though from your description :oops: But I see the others.

I read that were, I think, four companions and a background galaxy - but that's probaly, as you say, in a wider FOV. Unfortunately, that's the widest FOV I can do with my current setup.

Thanks again!

Dave McD

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22601 by dmcdona
:oops: Forgive my poor manners

Welcome to the boards! Where you situated?

More
18 years 7 months ago #22602 by Skylord
Replied by Skylord on topic Re: Lord Rosse and a blue image

I couldn't figure out where 7326 was though from your description :oops: But I see the others.

Non-galaxy 7326 is the slightly elongated blob on its own off to the right of the bottom end of 7331's nucleus, more or less the same distance out as 7335 but on the other side of 7331.

I read that were, I think, four companions and a background galaxy - but that's probaly, as you say, in a wider FOV. Unfortunately, that's the widest FOV I can do with my current setup.

There are four genuine companions, 7335, 7336, 7337 and 7340. However, 7325, 7326, 7327, 7333 and 7338 are spurious. Not sure about a background galaxy but will check.

Skylord

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds