K-Tec

Fish-eye or wide angle lenses - recommendations please

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #23597 by michaeloconnell
Thanks all for the responses. Very useful and much appreciated!

Darragh,
I'm looking more for a wide angle lens for landscape shots rather than anything else.
In terms of money, the prices mentioned are very high and I was hoping to get something alot cheaper. Having said that, I'm well aware that you get what you pay for. I read a review here tinyurl.com/4qad9 which seems to indicate a possible differene betwen the Sigma and the Canon lens. Perhaps he just got a defective lens.

The fact that the Canon lens is only intended for the smaller size chip would be of a concern to me. If I do ever upgrade the camera, I want to keep the same lenses. Would there be a similar problem with the Sigma lens?

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23599 by darragh
Michael,

The Sigma lens uses the EF-S mount which is on the APS-C frame cameras like the 300D,350D, 20D and the forthcoming 35D.

You won't be able to use EF-S mount lens on the Canon 5D or 1D ( full 35mm frame camera ) but they are not on the upgrade path for most people for at least several more years considering the cheapest of them, is €3500.

Having said that, the EF-S mount is designed to get around the cropping caused by the size of the APS-C frame with the wide-angle lenses.
With frame-cropping, the 10-20mm becomes 16-32mm on 35mm frame because 1.6x cropping factor.

The only EF mount super-wide lens are the Tokina 12-24mm ( 499 US Dollar ) and the Sigma 12-24 ( 659 US Dollars ). Both these lenses would have an equivalent range of 19.2mm-38.4mm on the 300D.

I have found the standard kit lens, the 18-55mm prefectly adequate for landscape photography.
All of these photos where taken with the standard lens and a tripod.

The other lens which I like to use alot is the 50mm f/1.8 lens, you can get this for around €120, it's the cheapest lens you can buy.

Hope this helps.[/url]

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #23601 by michaeloconnell
Darragh,
Thanks for the advice. I have the 18-55mm lens and recently got the 50mm one too. Following your comments above, what I have might be just fine. Judging by the super images on your website, perhaps I should focus on improving my photographic skills rather than upgrading the lenses! :)
Thanks,

More
18 years 7 months ago #23602 by dpower
wow- Daragh, nice photos!!!
You should consider flogging them... if you dont already.

Dave P

IFAS web team

More
18 years 7 months ago #23620 by dave_lillis
I looked at fish eye lenses a while back, and good ones are darn expensive.
They're great for meteor hunting and constellation shots.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds