K-Tec

Look at this puppy go!

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 6 months ago #25221 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Look at this puppy go!
Eirik - I have to say that I can't see any rotation myself... There's an object to the center left which certainly seems to move such that it might be rotating but I've a strong suspicion that its an artifact. In fact, it gave me a bot of trouble when trying to plate-solve the images.

That said, I've seen some (minor) rotation on long exposures and expsoures over a few hours. Its down to poor polar alignment of the GEM.

Long time no hear Martin! Good to see you're still around. Lot's more asteroid work now I'm pretty much obliged to send reports to the MPC... There's a few more out there that are needing observation. Check out cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/mpc.html for more info.

Keith - wasn't thinking about using it but I thought you may have concocted it yourself. Its a good one!.

All the best

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #25223 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Look at this puppy go!
Is the object in the middle far left another asteroid?, there seems to be a jump between the first and second frame, while there is little movement for
the other frames.
I have to say I thought it would be fairly dull to image asteroids, but this stuff is really exciting. This is great work Dave !!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 6 months ago #25226 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: Look at this puppy go!
i only watched that "jumping star" so it seemed to rotate

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 6 months ago #25228 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Look at this puppy go!
I double checked the mysterious blob to the left and sure enough, it looks like a concetration of hot pixels.

The fact that it moves is probably due to tracking and/or field rotation.

Still according to Astrometrica, there are at least 50 unidentified objects in that image :shock: And no known objects in the area other than MPL23187...

Probably noise...

Dave - I'm really starting to get the hang of this - I've sent in 3 reports so far and seems the accuracy I'm getting is within bounds (nothing's been flung back at me yet anyhow). I'm sure there's plenty more on the boards can give this a lash. There's definately a space for amateurs to contribute - two of the objects I've reported are Mag 15 - probably easy for any of the imagers here (perhaps barring the webcams...).

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 6 months ago #25229 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Look at this puppy go!
Definitely within the bounds of any 8+ inch scope with a canon 300d and some decent guiding.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 6 months ago #25230 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Look at this puppy go!
Hi Dave..yes im still here and still busy observing comets when it clears.

I am very impressed with your latest minor planet capture and delighted that you got your own observatory designation from the MPC which is a first in Ireland for an amateur astronomer!! - excellent stuff. I have every bit of confidence that you will provide valuble astrometric data on future asteroids which is sorley needed. You have set a high standard Dave and i wish you the best of luck with it.

I have been following your posts on the MPML which i am a member of myself. The MPML is a great group to be part of!!

keep up the good work and keep looking for that Supernova!!!

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds